Superman/Batman confirmed as next DC animated movie

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

AICN confirms that Warner Bros. Animation and DC Comics will follow this summer’s Green Lantern: First Flight with Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, based on the 2003-2004 comic-book storyline by Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness.

Superman/Batman will be the sixth in the series of direct-to-DVD DC Universe Original Animated Movies that began in 2007 with Superman: Doomsday. Bruce Timm reportedly is executive producer.

The official synopsis appears to follow the source material — the initial arc of the Superman/Batman comic series — pretty closely, with President Lex Luthor claiming that a kryptonite asteroid heading toward Earth is part of a sinister plot by Superman. Luthor then offers a $1 billion bounty for the Man of Steel and his “partner in crime” Batman.

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies is expected to be released this fall.

Comments

I really hope Bruce Timm stays faithful to the McGuinness style of the book. I’m a hug McGuinness fan and would hate for Bruce to put the “Timm Touch” on a style that I already love.

I don’t think an animated movie can keep up with a Mcguinness like art. It’s too many lines. While McGuinness only has to draw 100 panels max, for the movie they need over 100000 frames.

Since that meteor held Supergirl, I hope they bring that story to animated deliciousness next!

With so many better stories in DC’s archives, they pick this??? I know Superman and Batman will probably sell better, but, come on, just about anything could have topped this! Why not a DKR to cash in on TDK or Knightfall or Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? or just about any other Superman/Batman story that could have been easily adapted to film?

I’m guessing they’ll use Ed McGuinness’ style, but more streamlined for animation like they did with the Legends of the Dark Knight episode of BTAS.

Christian Otholm

March 14, 2009 at 3:52 pm

“Cool. I got to say for that as much heat Loeb gets on the ‘net he always sells books so he must be doing something right. His initial arcs on this book were great, actaully the only time I bought the title. I’m hoping that they will pull this off fairly well and judging by the past movies I have faith they will.”

He picks artists who will sell. As a business man I respect Loeb. But I can’t say I’m a fan of his stuff apart from The Long Halloween. Superman/Batman really was, like Hush, an excuse for the artist to let loose and draw all the fun characters from each of the series.

Most Excellent Super Bat

March 14, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Excellent! I think Loebs whole run would make a great series of movies.

Say what you will about his latest work but his work with Superman and Batman and the color books have a unique charm.

I know that they have been going out and getting “Star Power” for the voices but if they do this movie I would love for Kevin Conroy, George Newburn, and Clancy Brown to reprise their roles in the DC Animated Universe.

Bernie Brugman

March 14, 2009 at 5:49 pm

What happened to the judas Contract being done

This sounds pretty good. I know I’m in the minority but I like the Superman/Batman comic, especially the first couple of trades.

Here’s hoping Captain Marvel, Cir-El, Conner, Steel and the rest don’t get ignored from the story somehow.

This is cool and all, and I love Jeph Loeb’s work, but I was really hoping for The Long Halloween. Maybe in the future.

cool for it should be a big seller which is interesting since Warner’s really loathe ever teaming up batman and superman so this is going to be as close as fans get for each suscessfull Dvd opens the doors to things like Dark knight returns and Kingdom come happending. as for Judas contract the powers felt there was not enough support to go ahead with the thing. its dead

Why must anything they do with Superman blow? Loeb’s run was horrible. The book has been horrible since day one and is now out of continuity it’s so bad. Sigh.

Spider (Spidersonic)

March 14, 2009 at 11:20 pm

AWESOME!! I agree wit PyroTwilight, but I doubt they will include Conner due 2 legal issues. I also doubt Cir-El will appear becuz she’s a story within herself…..here’s hoping tho!

Cool! Love the Superman/Batman stories!

Just say NO to McGuinness art style. I HATE it.

Definitely looking forward to this one.Warner should outsource the animation to some japanese or korean studios those guys can keep up with McGuinness’ art style

They could do this story weel, as far as the Cir El and Conner goes, they could substitute other Characters or ignore that part of the story

Spider (Spidersonic)

March 15, 2009 at 3:14 am

Ur rite Dave. Cir-El = Kara. Conner = Mon-El?…maybe…..or they cud just ignore dat part…..McGuinness’ art style ROCKS!!!

This might be interesting to see. The story wasn’t groundbreaking but should actually work well for an animated feature. I hope they do try to mimic EMC’s art style. I’m kinda tired of seeing the Bruce Timm look at this point. His art should be easy to reproduce, it’s not really that different from the style they’re using on THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD animated series.

Matthew Stockfarleysolomonburger

March 15, 2009 at 7:58 am

More interested in what the support case will be.
Captain Atom, Power Girl, Green Lantern, Starfire, Black Lightning, Katana, Captain Cold, Metallo, Solomon Grundy, Silver Banshee, Lady Shiva, etc. The possiblities are limitless unless they “adapt it” and leave that out. Personally farming on the latter after Stupidman:Doomsday.

Meh. Wasn’t a big fan of the story itself. I’d much rather see them work on other characters who should get some more spotlight : The Flash, the Doom Patrol, Hawkman, The Atom, maybe another Wonder Woman movie.

I am disappointed. I didn’t read Superman/Batman so I don’t know what the story is like. Right now, I am sure they are working on sequels to Superman Returns and The Dark Knight, not to mention they have Smallville and The Brave and the Bold. I picked up the Wonder Woman Animated DVD and thought it was pretty good and excited about the next DVD with Green Lantern which made me hope, now falsely, that DC was branching out into SHOWCASing other DC heroes. I would love to see animated movies of Aquaman, Firestorm, Blue Beetle (Ted Kord), Green Arrow (Green Arrow/Black Canary or Green Arrow/Green Lantern – sequel to the Green Lantern movie they are working on), the Flash, and I wouldn’t mind seeing Batman and the Outsiders, the Titans (more for the teen/young adult market), the Metal Men or the Doom Patrol. Maybe if enough people “leave a comment” here, DC will re-think this if it is in the planning stages.

It says that this will be the 6th movie released but isn’t it the 7th?

Also I really hope they keep the animation inline with the comics. EMC is one of my favorite artists and I would love to see his style in animation. And why does everyone rag on these comics for sucking? Loeb and EMC may not be everyones fave but clearly alot of people liked it. It was a top 5 comic when it came out.

Sixth: Superman: Doomsday, Justice League: The New Frontier, Batman: Gotham Knight, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern: First Flight and then Superman/Batman.

Bring on the Judas Contract!

I like ED-EX’s style, it’s very cartoony already, and a pretty good fit for animation. And that story is simple enough to work in the 70-minute restriction these movies have.

Long Halloween is a bit dense. I think it would need more time. I still think New Frontier could have benefited from another half-hour.

They scan still use Conner, they just can’t call him Superboy (they’ll probvably call him Kon El or something).

And I’ve got to say, it makes good business sense to roll out the big guns every now and again. A Superman Batman movie will sell enough to give them the money to make things like Green Lantern and future instalments with less well-known characters.

Personally, Titans story-wise I’d rather see Titans Hunt than Judas Contract, but I really want to see an animated version of Morrison’s JLA: Rock of Ages or an Aquaman feature.

Old News. The World’s Finest reported on this back in August 2008.

SuperBats

But the Tales from the Black Frieghter DVD is a Warner Premiere DC Animated so doesn’t it count towards making Superman/Batman no. 7?

Tales of the Black Freighter is Warner Premiere — Warner Home Videos’ direct-to-DVD label — but it’s not under the DC Universe Original Animated Movies umbrella.

Superman and Batman are overdone. Why would Warner Brothers do yet another animated movie about them? Why not reintroduce the world to other DC Heroes, maybe some other members of the Justice League? Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of both heroes. I just think it’s time to hype up some underused heroes. Wouldn’t an animated Flash be amazing?

Well Wallruss, it probably has something to do with the VAST SUMS OF MONEY these characters generate.

Personally… I have only 2 pipe dream animated movies I would love to see… one possible and the other IMPOSSIBLE… First… the 52 comic made into a movie (multi-part of course) and then a Marvel Vs DC animated movie in ANY capacity weather it be Supes Vs Spidey, Bats Vs Hulk, JLA/ AVengers, Access, Amalgam, etc..

Frost Bite Groove

April 4, 2009 at 9:47 pm

As for me I have been waiting to see what Warner and DC will present after all their titles are released. I am sure that once again Timm and crew will follow their mantra, “It’s all about the story”. With their visual strength growing they will surely out pace the Lionsgate Marvel partnership. I hope with this success, the powers to be will bring back on track the Judas Contract Teem Titans. A List Heroes are great, but I have been in discussions with other comic book geeks and would support purchase of this movie when it hits the shelves.