Vaughan & Chiang's "Paper Girls" Builds a Familiar Yet Disconcerting World
The nominees were announced this morning for the Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award, which has been presented at Comic-Con since 1982.
Named for the late Russ Manning, who created Magnus, Robot Fighter and illustrated such comic strips as Star Wars and Tarzan, the award is presented to an artist “who, early in his or her career, shows a superior knowledge and ability in the art of creating comics.”
This year’s nominees are:
• Gregory Baldwin, writer/artist of Path (published by com.x Ltd)
• Eleanor Davis, writer/artist of Stinky (published by RAW Junior/Toon Books)
• Leigh Kellogg, artist of Wayfarer’s Moon (Single Edge Studios)
• Lukas Ketner, artist of Witchdoctor (self-published)
• Christian Slade, artist of Korgi (published by Top Shelf)
The winner will be announced July 24 during the Eisner Awards ceremony at Comic-Con International.