"The Flash" Director Seth Grahame-Smith Departs Over 'Creative Differences'
Sadly, I won’t be able to attend MoCCA this year, mainly because, to use the vernacular of the Big Bopper, “I ain’t got no money, honey.”
It’s a shame too, since it looks like it’s going to be a banner year, con-wise. Below is a list of things I’d try to buy and do if I were going. Feel free to take what advice you feel applies to your own sensibilities, assuming you happen to be in the Big Apple this weekend.
Five comics I’d buy without a second thought:
1. The Complete Jack Survives by Jerry Moriarty. (Buenaventura Press) I always thought the Jack strips were one of the highlights of Raw.
2. Soft City by ???? (published by a bunch of Scandinavian guys). I saw a preview of this book during last year’s MoCCA at one of the Scandinavian tables and it looked fantastic. I can’t remember who was planning on publishing it, but you can be sure I’d be keeping my eyes out for a copy.
3. You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation, edited by Paul Karasik (Fantagraphics). The second Fletcher Hanks collection debuts at MoCCA. Plus, buy it there and you’ll get a special mini-Hanks coloring book. Some fun!
4. Multiforce by Mat Brinkman (PictureBox). Hey, new Brinkman! Awesome!
5. My Mommy is in America and she met Buffalo Bill, by Jean Regnaud and Emile Bravo (Fanfare/Ponent Mon).
Five comics I’d glance at and keep in the back of my mind to purchase if money and time allows:
1. Far Arden by Kevin Cannon
2. The Gigantic Robot by Tom Gaud
3. Remake by Lamar Abrams
4. Robot 13, by Thomas Hall and Daniel Bradford.
5. Sundays Vol. 3
Five panels I’d try to attend:
1. 11–11:50 am Saturday — Charles Hatfield and Isaac Cates on Jack Kirby. I don’t know Cates, but Hatfield is a smart, funny guy and he knows his Kirby cold.
2. 3–3:50 pm Saturday — AH, HUMBUG! Arnold Roth and Al Jaffee in conversation with Gary Groth. I can’t see any way how this would not be awesome.
3. 5–6 pm Saturday — Paul Karasik on the Twisted Genius of Fletcher Hanks.
4. 2:30–3:30 pm Sunday — Adrian Tomine and Seth in conversation. Two great cartoonists at the top of their game swapping stories.
5. 3:45–4:45 pm Sunday — Gary Panter and Frank Santoro in conversation. See above.
Five after-show events I’d at least consider going to:
1. The CBLDF karaoke party.
2. Rocketship’s Synocpated release party.
3. The opening reception for the David Mazzucchelli show.
4. Comic Strip Serenade!
5. The Romanian comics show.