LOOK: "Supergirl" Introduces Superman in First Family Photo
Very busy writer Brian Michael Bendis became an even busier writer this weekend. With little fanfare — it “happened by accident” — Bendis spent over an hour on Saturday answering reader questions via his Twitter account.
The 125-message micro-interview cost him some followers, irritated Warren Ellis (not really), and was eventually cut off by Twitter, but by the time all was said and done some interesting info had hit the Internet courtesy of his tweets.
First up, Bendis spilled the beans on a trio of upcoming projects with familiar collaborators:
* Bendis and his Daredevil: Wake Up partner David Mack will reunite for a new Hornhead project, Daredevil: End of Days, next summer. The project was first announced in February 2007, with Bendis and Mack as co-writers and art from Alex Maleev, Bill Sienkewicz, and Klaus Janson. (Daredevil will also appear in New Avengers #60.)
* Look for a creator-owned crime project from Bendis and his Daredevil and Spider-Woman collaborator Alex Maleev next summer.
But what about Bendis’s existing series — New Avengers, Dark Avengers, Spider-Woman, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, the soon-to-return Powers, and the upcoming Siege? Here are the highlights of Bendis’s tweets on these titles — as well as some extra goodies…
* Look for an announcement about the post-Siege fate of Dark Avengers “very very soon”.
* Maya Lopez, aka Echo, aka the first Ronin, will be returning in the pages of Spider-Woman.
* After the conclusion of “Dark Reign” and Siege, Bendis’s focus will be on “mini title events” per the wishes of Joe Quesada.
* The story of Hawkeye’s imprisonment by Norman Osborn will be told in New Avengers Annual #3.
* As they are occupied with the events of “Fall of the Hulk” and “Nation X,” neither the Hulk (nor the Hulk family of characters, presumably) nor the X-Men will be directly involved in Siege.
* The long-running saga of the Hood, the superpowered crimelord, Cabal member, and antagonist of the New Avengers first powered by Dormammu and now by Loki, will be ending “sooner than you think.”
* The secrets of how the Sentry survived the events of Dark Avengers #9 and what he did after being sent to outer space by Cyclops in the Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men crossover will be revealed in January’s Dark Avengers #13.
* The Shroud, the red-cloaked vigilante now making waves in Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, is a new character rather than an established hero or villain–he’s not the Ultimate Hood.
* You knew it would have to happen eventually: There will be “a proper showdown” between Spider-Man and Norman Osborn.
* Brother Voodoo’s ascension to the role of Sorcerer Supreme was Bendis’s idea, but was ratified by a vote.
* Siege will result in “the biggest change in over a decade” for the Avengers and their team line-up. Two things that won’t change, however, are the team’s writer and its artist, Stuart Immonen, both of whom are with New Avengers for the long haul.
* He might have to get in line behind Ethan Van Sciver, but Bendis says his dream DC project would be a “gritty noir” Plastic Man series.
* Not sure how this ends well for Dark Wolverine, but there’s a Daken/Thor showdown on the way in Siege.
* Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming have “at least a year” of Powers set for a regular monthly schedule upon the series’ relaunch.
* Cosmic-level Avengers stories are on the way next year.
* Ultimate Doctor Doom will be rearing his metal head once again in January’s Ultimate Enemy miniseries.
* Plans for Namor and the Atlanteans are in place for next year.
* The “jury is still out” on whether there will be any more motion comic episodes of Spider-Woman.
But Bendis wasn’t all answers–he punted on questions regarding the current and future status of Carnage, the Scarlet Witch, and Molecule Man, which unexpected post-Siege Avengers characters he’d be writing, and whether he’d be writing Marvelman anytime soon.
One extra, very different announcement popped up on Sunday: Bendis is now a professor at Portland State University, with “class details and explanations” coming sometime today. With all of the above on his plate, where will he find the time?