"Flash's" Amell Dishes on Deathstorm's Nasty Streak and a 'Heartbreaking Death'
• The Oregonian’s Steve Duin names his Top 10 comics of 2009, including Joe Sacco’s Footnotes in Gaza, Jeff Lemire’s Sweet Tooth, and Adam Rapp and George O’Connor’s Ball Peen Hammer.
• Joe Gross of the Austin American-Statesman lists his Top 13 comics of the year, including The Incredible Hercules, by Fred Van Lente, Greg Pak and others, and Wasteland: The Apocalyptic Edition, Vol. 1, by Antony Johnston and Christopher J. Mitten.
• Jerome Maida of the Philadelphia Daily News rolls out a curious, and DC Comics-dominated best-of list whose categories range from writer of the year to heroine of the year. DC/Vertigo’s Scalped gets top series honors.
• Greg Hatcher at sibling blog Comics Should Be Good! looks at the best reprint collections of 2009.
• David Allen Jones, aka Johnny Bacardi, names his favorite comics of 2009, including Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson’s Beasts of Burden, Adam Warren’s Empowered and Bryan Lee O’Malley’s Scott Pilgrim vs. the Universe.
• Dave Ferraro names the best superhero comics of the year, from Captain Britain and MI13 to Agents of Atlas to Batman and Robin.
• Tom Spurgeon continues his holiday interviews with writers discussing comics that are emblematic of the decade: Chris Allen on Powers; David Welsh on MW; and Robert Clough on ACME Novelty Library #19.
• Jason Yadao of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin looks back at the year in manga, and spotlights the growth of free online manga and Twitter.