“Stan’s Back”? I didn’t know he was ever gone …
by JK Parkin |
February 21, 2010 @ 3:40 PM | 18 Comments |
Some sort of teaser campaign popped up over the weekend on sites like the Bendis Boards and The Savage Critics. They simply say “Stan’s Back” and link to a website with that URL and the same text. (Incidentally, if you try to look at the source code, you’ll find a hidden message: “You are not going to learn anything about this site from looking at the code!”).
From the signature, it’s obvious that these ads are referencing Stan Lee, but who exactly is he working with? Some random guesses:
- Maybe Stan’s heading back to Marvel to usher in the Heroic Age, some other project or to take some sort of bigger role. But the campaign doesn’t feel like something Marvel would do; they typically release teasers to comic news sites vs. taking out ads like this or setting up a separate URL like that.
- It could be something to do with Stan’s company POW! Entertainment, but it would be kind of odd for them to say he’s back when he’s never really left.
- And of course there’s the recently announced multimedia series he’s doing with Archie and A Squared Entertainment. But why do a teaser campaign now without mentioning the series itself, since it has already been announced?
- Oh, and there’s Ultimo, his book with Hiroyuki Takei for Viz. Again, it’s already announced, so why be cryptic?
- This may be a longshot, but the ads remind me a lot of BOOM!’s Mark Waid campaigns — the one where he was evil, and the one where he wasn’t. They’re popping up in similar places, with a similar look and feel. But he’s never had anything to do with BOOM!, I don’t think, so I don’t know why he’d be back.
Or it could be for something and someone I’m completely missing here. Thoughts?
News From Our Partners