Blackest Night #8 cover revealed

DC Comics revealed yesterday the cover to Blackest Night #8 by Ivan Reis. And like the cover to Green Lantern #52, it now makes sense as to why they didn’t share the cover when the original solicitations came out, as it spoils the end of BN #7 … check it out after the jump.

*****

Blackest Night #8

Blackest Night #8

Comments

fail….

I still think Sinestro is the WRONG choice to be the White Lantern, because of all the heinous crimes he did in the Sinestro War.

A better choice would’ve been Indigo, Hal, Sayd, Ganthet, or Carol.

And another thing, WHERE’S Mera?!!!

Mera may have finalyh surcum to the red latern or they proably forgot to get her on the cover. and Sinestro as a white Latern that is like when Hal was the Spectre going to wind up a bad choice. for Sinestro desire for power will wind up corrupting the white Latern power

So… Sinestro is now the Earth-DC equivalent of the Earth-Wildstorm character Apollo, from the Authority? :D

I still get the impression that it will be Jordan that wears the white ring. All the earlier issues of Green Lantern where he wears the other color spectrum of rings was a kind of “walk a mile in my shoes” kind of trial. It makes sense that it would be Jordan to wear the White ring. The only other thing that might be plausible is if this is some kind of Sinestro redemption story…

Looks like the Scarecrow is rocking a killer affro!

I think the White Lantern (or host of the “life” avatar) will wind up being Dove. That’ll be the swerve for the final issue.

The artwork feels rushed and not as polished as Ivan Reis’ other work. Except for Sinestro, Hal Jordan and some other characters near the center, the other figures feel stunted and lack dynamics.

Sinestro will die. That’s his redemption. In #7 he even says: “This is why I am alive!”

To those who hate this decision: fear not, he won’t make it out of Blackest Night #8 with that ring or his life.

I, on the other hand, enjoy seeing him fulfill his cause. He’s a Utopist. “By any means necessary.” That’s Sinestro’s character. The end is a universe safe from Nekron. The means was Sinestro’s war and coming sacrifice.

Godspeed, purple Stalin, shove that white light down the omnicidal madman’s throat.

Geoff must have had some reason for making Sinistro the 1st white lantern, so lets look out for a reason in the upcoming issues, the guy (Geoff) is more intelligent than all of us put together at any given day :)

No offence guys :)

To me, it didn’t appear that Sinestro taking control of the White Entity in any way proved he deserved it, just that he took it.

And life is something Sinestro takes a lot.

This looks rushed and unpolished compared to the previous covers.

Kind of looks like they’re bursting through the skull that was on the cover of issue #1 which is a nice bit of symmetry. As far as Sinestro being the white lantern, this was hinted at way back in the Sinestro Corps War. During the origin backup for Sinestro it said he would become the greatest lantern once again. I agree with the comment that says he’ll probably die. He does have blood on his hands, but its conceivable that if he saves the universe against a threat like this that he will go down as the “greatest lantern.”

I’m just glad this thing will finally be over. I am sick and tired of crossovers. I liked it better when it truly was an event, not just one after another. I am done with crossovers from both DC and Marvel. Not worth the money.

The battle in Blackest Night is not about good versus evil. It’s life versus death. The white entity is the entity of life. It’s the combination of all sentient emotion. So Sinestro as a White Lantern is not a bad idea. Anyone alive could have gotten it. It’s not about deserving it.

I think Sinestro as a White Lantern was f’ing CRAZY!!! I’m thinking that Sinestro is probably going to die… but not as a traitor.. but as what he said he would… the greatest Lantern of them all.

I can see Sinestro dying and passing the white ring/entity off to Hal in a call back to Abin Sur giving him the green ring. It would be a nice character moment between the two.

As far as all the speculation..??

Hal is Green Lantern. The central essence character of the whole Lanternverse.

Therefore somebody else is going to be White Lantern. The only one equal in power/status to Hal is Sinestro.

Looking forward to the big finale and what comes after.

I want to like Blackest Night. I loved Sinestro Corps War. But all these different CORPS cheapen the idea. It just feels like a Saturday morning cartoon stunt. Like when the Transformers kept having new spin-offs. The story feels like a side-plot to all the “COOL” moments.

David, Salt Lake City, UT

March 3, 2010 at 12:14 pm

It’s a COVER – it does not mean this is how the story ends.

While Sinestro may have committed some absolutely awful acts, you need to acknowledge that a large part of his character comes from the way Abin Sur was treated by the guardians.

Also, everyone that keeps saying Sinestro is going to die… do you even read solicitations? Youre clearly hear for spoiling, but Sinestro is mentioned by name in the solicits for gl 53 and 54.

Read first, spout off second.

here*

Henry and Chris -

Are we looking at the same image? That thing is gorgeous!

I am going to stay open minded about the Sinestro choice. Geoff Johns never disappoints, so I trust he will make it awesome!

I like how the design is a full inversion of the first cover, even going so far as to use white as the dominant tone.

Very nice cover.

I agree with those pointing out that being a White Lantern does not necessitate being a “good” lantern and that just because Sinestro was a WL first, doesn’t mean he will be one when the smoke clears.

Great crossover, though I do prefer Sinestro Corps War so far. I think this story would have worked better as a similarly focused GL crossover instead of a line-wide event.

I agree with the other Paul. Youse guys are nuts – this is yummy.

Troll God of Trools

March 3, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Sinestro is the right choice.

Renaldo SANCHEZ

March 3, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Care Bear STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE!

Isn’t this DONE yet?

Just kill a couple more minor characters and let’s move on to the next blood bath.

EnergizerSlug

March 3, 2010 at 5:59 pm

So now we put Sinestro at the top of the heap?
What is he… like a Guardian? The lantern with the most mojo?
So Hal is now relegated to just another color lantern?

Dat don’t make no sense!

I agree, the plethora of lantern colors trivializes the character of Green Lantern.
What marketing genius thought this up?
Does DC think this will actually help the Green Lantern brand?

Sinestro survives this story. At least that’s what previews would have you believe. Sinestro goes looking for Parallax in the following issue of GL.

You can’t have life without death, or death without life…they’re opposite sides of the same coin….

…For those of you who are acting like total choads over Sinestro getting the White ring, you’re blinding yourselves to an interesting question that Johns has posed with this turn of events:

Q: What happens when someone totally despicable, who has committed more heinous acts, crimes, sins and atrocities than one can count, suddenly not only gets put into a situation where they can totally redeem themselves, but actually accomplishes it?

…Or, to put it another way, what if someone like Hitler, Stalin or Pol Pot wound up being given a chance to save the universe, and actually did so? Are there people whose actions totally eliminate any chance whatsoever of salvation, no matter the degree of benevolent results may result from their subsequent actions regardless of their intent at the time?

Based on some of the whinings in this thread, I can see it now:

God/Yahweh/Roddenberry: “Well, Sinestro, you just saved all of Creation. Everything from Heaven to New Genesis to Earth to Apokolips to the Phantom Zone and even the lowest, deepest, most feared pit of Hell itself. You even saved Me. However, there’s still the matter of all the people who died from the moment you went sour as a Green Lantern up to this point, so off back to Hell you go. But you *do* have Our thanks for playing, and we’ll be glad to send your daughter a copy of our home game for you…”

I wonder, since Nekron knew to hae Black Hand use the skull of CLONE Bruce Wayne, if Darkseid is involved somehow.

I wonder, since Nekron knew to have Black Hand use the skull of CLONE Bruce Wayne, if Darkseid is involved somehow.

Sinestro cannot be the WL for long. You cannot have a power based on life and still be so apt to kill. I bet the ring’s all powerful or really close but it’s biggest limitation us that it can’t be used to take a life. Also where’s Mera? Don’t kill her off please. Either she can be with Aquaman or Atrocitus. Either way that’s angry sex hahaha.

It’s just a cover guys. Haven’t you all learned that the cover doesn’t tell a story.

Troll God of Trools

March 4, 2010 at 7:30 am

SINESTRO IS THE RIGHT CHOICE, DEAL WITH IT.

Thanks to advance solicitations, the end results seem pretty clear. Hopefully, Geoff throws a couple of curveballs in the final issue of Blackest Night.

I still think that Guy will be the White Lantern. Otherwise it would make no sense for him to have his own solo book.

Scarecrow; that’s his hat making a full shadowed effect on his head. Afro…gesh.

Whata bunch of whining bitches…pffffft, fanboys

it’s going to be Kyle!.. c’mon give him a reason to stay before they set him off as just another GL or worse, as Guy’s sidekick (which he already is)…bunch of ingrates…

Anyone who bags that cover is a wanker

BN #7′s finale was so awesome, I’ve read that book 5 times already! Sinestro becoming the white lantern completely works. He’s looking for a power source capable of allowing him to create a peaceful universe, one under his rule. And just think of the fear he will cause in others now that he has this power source. I like the idea of him going out with a bang and handing over the ring to Hal, similar to Abin Sur’s passing of the green ring.

What I’m really interested in is if the new “Rainbow Brigade” will replace the guardians. I’ve been entertained by their interactions with each other, and it would add alot to the role of the Guardians. I can only imagina Larfleeze as a Guardian… wow.

It’s probably just chose the lantern who has experienced every part of the spectrum. We’ve seen him with will, fear, love, and compassion before. It’s also conceivable that he would feel envy and rage in the past. Hope would be the trigger in this issue, then bam! Everything is gonna be all white for Sinestro.

black lightning

March 23, 2010 at 9:24 pm

i know there trying to make the white lantern..brightnest day thing suspensful but SINESTRO!!! not cool

black lightning

March 23, 2010 at 9:25 pm

AND kyle aint got nothin on Hal

White Lightning

March 29, 2010 at 12:00 pm

White Lightning01

March 29, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Well I can see why Sinestro is a well thought choice. But I very seriously doubt he will remain the White Lantern. Logically. Ion = Kyle – Sodam Yat, Parallax – Hal – Kyle (eventually). White Lantern is meant to be creation, life. Well Sinestro can do what he set out to achieve in the first place, order and peace through the Universe. But I believe like all martyrs (spelling?) he’ll die taking out the great even that is Black Hand or Nekron. So eventually there will be a New White Lantern. A new and only true Guardian of the Universe passed down by Sinestro. Probably to Hal, who has epitomized fear, will, hope, etc. Kyle Rayner is kind of underestimated. Remember he was at one point the Most powerful entity of good in the universe. (Not including neither good nor evil like source, or lucifer/michael or etc… But I was kinda hoping it would be a new unknown Character. But I think in the end of Blackest Night it will probably be Hal or Kyle… Kinda like, eh anyone remember when Green Power Ranger Tommy became White Ranger lol kinda like that… thoughts..? sorry about posting this twice I put in wrong email address for return posts… Thanks

ps How off am I on this stuff…?

i think hals gonna be the WL cauze i realized the events of 1 issue of BL represent the cover of the next one, and since brightest day 0 is kind of like a BL 9, and BD 0′s cover is not official, i think the cover’ll be hal as a WL, with sinestro burninig in hell

on another note, good cover. cant wait for the variant