X-POSITION: Burnham, Culver, Villalobos Spell Out "E Is For Extinction"
Bizarro creator Dan Piraro won the 2010 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year, presented over the weekend by the National Cartoonists Society. He beat out fellow nominees Stephan Pastis (Pearls Before Swine) and Richard Thompson (Cul de Sac).
The organization also 13 divisional awards in categories ranging from feature animation to book illustration to comic books. Paul Pope won the latter for “Strange Adventures,” his Adam Strange strip serialized in DC’s Wednesday Comics, while David Mazzucchelli took home the graphic novels award for his critically acclaimed Asterios Polyp.
The full list of divisional winners can be found after the break:
• Television animation: Seth McFarlane — Family Guy
• Feature animation: Ronnie del Carmen, storyboard artist — Up
• Newspaper illustration: Tom Richmond
• Gag cartoons: Glenn McCoy
• Greeting cards: Debbie Tomassi
• Newspaper comic strips: Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman — Zits
• Newspaper panel cartoons: Hilary Price — Rhymes with Orange
• Magazine feature/magazine illustration — Ray Alma
• Book illustration: Dave Whamond — My Think-A-Ma-Jink
• Editorial cartoons: John Sherffius
• Advertising illustration: Steve Brodner
• Comic books: Paul Pope — “Strange Adventures” (Wednesday Comics)
• Graphic novels: David Mazzucchelli — Asterios Polyp