Fred Van Lente to write new Avengers series

Fred Van Lente

Fred Van Lente

Incredible Hercules co-writer Fred Van Lente announced this morning on Twitter that he’s penning an Avengers title that debuts in November. He’s just not saying what it is.

“When it’s announced, I think you’ll agree it’s the most ‘Van Lentean’ Avengers title ever,” he wrote. “They’ve been New, Mighty, Young, Dark, West Coast, Great Lakes, Initiative, Academy, Prime … What could be next? What?

Guesses have ranged from Euro-vengers and Disney Avengers to Avenging Avengers and Deadpool Avengers. None of those is correct, but neither, perhaps unfortunately, is Great Lakes Avengers. This is a new Avengers title (lowercase “new”).

“I’m really flattered all you guys think I’d be perfect for Great Lakes Avengers,” Van Lente tweeted. “Oh, wait. No I’m not. [...] Kidding, GLA fans. Never read ‘em, sure they’re great.”

Van Lente’s comic will bring the total number of monthly Avengers titles to six five. In addition, there’s the Children’s Crusade bimonthly maxiseries, plus countless miniseries and one-shots. Presumably we’ll learn the title of the new series in two weeks at Comic-Con International.

Comments

I’m guessin’ Cosmic Avengers or Avengers: Legacy.

Nikolai Barkats

July 7, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Secret Avengers already went to space

“Avengers Noir”

Wait.
Did he already do that?

I think Van Lente was being cute in his teaser by asking what’s “next.” I’m guessing it’s Next Avengers, featuring the kids from that DVD, and Bendis’ current run.

Nikolai, so did the original Avengers. Van Lente excels at cosmic stories, so having a team set permanently in space fits. Plus, all the other Avengers books are set on Earth, and it looks like the Thanos Imperative is gonna leave a lot of corpses in its wake.

Kello, though…now that I’ve read your post, I think you are spot on.

Lanky Librarian

July 7, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Avengers North a.k.a. Alpha Flight

That’s an interesting take, Kello. You could be on to something.

I can’t imagine it being Next Avengers, though, just based on his comment that the title will be the most Van Lentean Avengers title ever. Personally, I think I’d rather see him doing a Defenders book than another Avengers book.

Oh, and what are the six ongoing titles? New Avengers, Secret Avengers, Avengers, Avengers Academy. What are the other two? Is Prime and ongoing? I thought it was just a mini. What is the new I Am an Avenger series that’s coming out? Is that ongoing?

I may have incorrectly counted Prime as an ongoing.

God Avengers?

Avengers Overload

July 7, 2010 at 1:09 pm

How about Extraneous Avengers? Unwanted Avengers? Squeeze-Em-Dry Avengers?

How about Fling-Poo-At-The-Wall-And-See-If-It-Sticks Avengers?

Unnecessary Avengers.

Lanky, I hope you’re right. I do so hope you’re right.

Steven R. Stahl

July 7, 2010 at 1:47 pm

How many of the current “Avengers” series are actually connected to the original AVENGERS series, in terms of the series concept and premise? None, or one, AVENGERS, assuming that the Big Three together create a connection. SECRET AVENGERS is actually about the superpowered agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.; NEW AVENGERS features Bendis’s favorite characters. Van Lente might connect his series to the original one, but I won’t be surprised if he doesn’t.

SRS

It’s just going to be a YOUNG AVENGER monthly book.

Hopefully it will have Machine Man in it, he seems to “get” Machine Man better than almost anyone snice Kirby. Maybe Howard the Duck can tag along also, following from Marvel Zombies :-)

I guess marvel doesn’t think people stop reading their books due to $4 cover prices and constant relaunches. But, I’m one of the people that has.

James T. Hitler

July 7, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Ohhhh, I hope whoever said Van Lente doing Young Avengers as a monthly is right. Have Heinberg co-plot and have FVL co-plot and script with Cheung and Coipel alternating arcs since they are both slow.

Hmm. Here’s another thought: Astonishing Avengers.

Fabulous Furry Freak Avengers? (Werewolf By Night, Beast, Sasquatch, Tigra, Man-Wolf, etc.)

No, for serious…I’m thinking (hoping) for a spin-off ongoing featuring Machine Man & Howard The Duck leading a “Hunters of The Supernatural” Avengers team, as seen in “Marvel Zombies”.

If it isn’t that, I suppose the dark corners of my imagination will have to suffice…

tom the golden fan

July 7, 2010 at 3:01 pm

How about the title “Not an Avenger ? Are there enough heroes or villians to make a team?

Whatever, Van Lente could be on “Mighty Big Steaming Pile of Poo” and I’m sure it would be well-written. I consider this good news!

AVENGERS of the SUPERNATURAL

C’Mon!
Van Lente has all that mythology / mystical stuff down pretty tight.

It would be a great way for Marvel to have a “magic”-oriented book that people might actually BUY.

Dr Strange and Dr Voodoo have been big parts of the New Avengers, and all they need to do is pull out a few more mystical characters (Son of Satan has been huge as of late in many titles, Gargoyle was in the Initiative, maybe draft Valkyrie from “Secret”, maybe Hellcat… er… maybe they should just be called “AVENGING DEFENDERS”).

;-)

I say it’s a win-win.

“Tamam Shud!”
~P~
PTOR

Oh… and BEST of all, perhaps Van Lente will be able to fix up any of Bendis’ screw ups on that whole “revamp of magic in the MU” (should there be any – he said without much doubt).

;-)

~P~

Action Philosopher Avengers?

Scott Rowland

July 7, 2010 at 4:14 pm

@Brother Justin Crowe: What cosmic stories has Van Lente written? I don’t recall any off-hand, except possibly the Hercules God Squad arc. Is there some other story he’s done with the cosmic side of things that I should be hunting down?

MI13 Avengers

Remind me which heroes joined the Great Lakes Avengers. Anyways, these are my guesses:
1. Avengers Forever
2. Avengers Legacy
3. Civilian Avengers
4. Avenger Warriors
5. Multiverse Avengers
6. (random positive adjective) Avengers
7. Mutant Avengers or X-Avengers

Nextwave Avengers

new se-X-vengers

mutie avengers – never been done before!

I like your idea Kello. I found this Quote from FVL from the end of 2007:

FVL:
In the next issue, when he goes to the remotest part of Canada to continue his quest, Iron Man runs into an old foe (last seen in MAIM #6, hint, hint) and has to be helped out by Alpha Flight. This will be the X-Men #120-#121 lineup: Guardian, Snowbird, Aurora, Northstar, Shaman and Sasquatch. (Yeah, I know he was called “Vindicator” back then. But, like John Byrne, I always hated that name.)

I should say I’m going through kind of a ridiculous Alpha Flight phase right now and people should expect them to pop up in a number of comics I write… I loved that series as a kid. The members were all screwed-up. They all had demons possessing them, they had crippling mental disorders, they were midgets or homosexuals. Only a country like Canada could have an official super-team this dysfunctional.”

It would be my guess the series will be dubbed “The Champion Avengers”! Since Bendis is doing Defenders in New and Brubaker is doing S.H.E.I.L.D. in Secret it would be the next logical choice to put Hercules back with Ghost Rider and the rest.

Did anyone say West Coast Avengers yet? There’s a book and a base of operations begging for use.

X-Avengers.

Hey, they’ve been ripping off the X-Books for years anyway.

It says it in the tweet… “They’ve been New, Mighty, Young, Dark, West Coast, Great Lakes, Initiative, Academy, Prime … What could be next? What?”

Avengers Next

I think everyone is looking at the wrong word in that sentence. Rather than Next Avengers, I think it’ll be What Avengers?

Ooooh Avengers North (new Alpha Flight book) would be awesome. Take it away from the X-books and Avengerize the team with an all Canadian squad. Perfect!

Maybe West Coast Avengers, with a line-up that’s actually more Champions-esque, with Hercules being one of the heavy hitters on the team?

Avengers For Hire!

Busiek had a Cosmic Avengers team for a while (thor, starfox, photon, jack of hearts and for some reason tigra)