Geoff Johns to write new Aquaman series

Brightest Day #17

A new Aquaman series written by Geoff Johns will launch later this year in the wake of Brightest Day. The announcement was made Saturday at MegaCon during the DC Comics spotlight panel and confirmed last night by Johns.

“Announced at Megacon: After Brightest Day I’ll be moving over to a new book — Aquaman #1 coming later this year!!” he wrote on Twitter. It was not revealed whether the title is an ongoing or a miniseries, or who the artist will be.

It will be the seventh series for the 70-year-old character, who reached the height of his modern-era popularity in the 1990s under writer Peter David. The last Aquaman comic, subtitled Sword of Atlantis as part of a sweeping “One Year Later” retooling, was canceled in 2007, leaving the sea king dead. Or, rather, “dead,” as he was resurrected in DC’s Blackest Night event before going on to play a central role in Brightest Day.

Although Aquaman is often the butt of jokes, in large part due to his depiction in the Super Friends animated series, Johns has championed the character and his place in the DC Universe.

“I think Aquaman is one of DC’s A-List characters, but he’s got to be treated like that,” Johns told Comic Book Resources in December. “He’s got to be showcased like that, and he’s got to kick ass like Green Lantern or Batman or the entire Justice League.”

Comments

I’m all for it. Is this why Flash was cancelled?

I don’t think Flash has been cancelled. The way DC announced it as part of a Flashpoint Friday in conjunction with a solicit for issue 13 featuring the Reverse Flash looks more like they’re going to alter the book for a few months to reflect the changes in Flashpoint. It may be retitled “Reverse Flash” and the numbering changed or something like that, but when the dust settles the ongoing book will return to normal.

I’ve had a hard time getting into Aquaman during Blackest Night and Brightest Day, but I’ll give this a shot anyway. Hopefully, they can get Ivan Reis to draw it.

Can’t wait! If we’re lucky Reis will be on art too.

Peter David’s run is what got me hooked on Aquaman! (haha….) Its a personal favorite even now! And Egelands pencils were amazing. Morrison’s take on him in JLA was also great.

Hopefully we will see some of the main stays like – Tempest, Dolphin, Koryak and vulko (even though they are all dead!….. )

I always thought Aquaman is one of those characters that has a lot of potential that no one is using so im glad he is revamping it.
I’m wondering if there is gonna be a new flash title to reflect the changes of Flashpoint that is gonna be done by someone else.
i do need them to give wally west a new identity since having to many characters with the same title gets confusing pretty fast. I think they should make him a blue lantern or something.

This is good news!….I think.

Not sure how the DCU proper will be affected after Flashpoint is said and done. The Buzz cut Aquaman in Flashpoint doesn’t thrill me.

wait so having too many characters with the same name is confusing, there are at least 1000 green lanterns. 5 on earth alone, but no one is really confused by that.. so i think having 3 characters named flash isn’t that hard. And really making Wally a Blue Lantern out of the blue for no reason other then to not have him be called flash is STUPID

this would be awesome if it wasn’t geoff johns writing it. seriously, i am so burnt out/have had it up to the proverbial “here” with him. he’s spreading himself too thin. just my $ .02.

Been expecting this since last year.
Johns has said that his comfortable writing 3 titles at once.
I’d presume that the Flash ongoing will be back right after the end of Flashpoint.
When the Flash ongoing was originally announced, Kid Flash and Speedforce books
were also announced.

After Flashpoint:

Green Lantern books with the same creative teams.

Flash by Geoff Johns focued on Barry Allen

Kid Flash by Sterling Gates focued on Bart Allen but the could also center it on Wallys’ daughter
Iris.

Speedforce by JT Krul ( just a guess, not my personal choice) focused on the rest of the Flash family.
Serving the same function as the Green Lantern Corps does for the GL franchise.

Aquaman by Johns and Reis ( same high profile team that had success on GL in the past).

Depending on the success of the Aquaman “brand” under Johns’ watch,
there’s a an Atlantis book.
This title focusing on the Aquaman fam ( Arthur, Mera, Aqualad, and Aquagirl).

Depending on the characters success in the Aqua books AND Young Justice show, we get an Aqualad book
focusing on Jackson Hyde.

Should be interesting. Hoping for the best.

What a great way to start my Sunday morning!!! Can’t wait for this!

Apollo, I am pretty sure this new book will focus on the supporting cast too at least Mera and Jackson. Who are hot commodities.

Flash was selling too well to be cancled. It will probably comeback after Flashpoint is done.

“It will be the seventh series for the 70-year-old character, who reached the height of his popularity in the 1990s under writer Peter David.”

I’d have thought the height of his popularity was when he had his own cartoon series on television from 1967 through 1970, and that audience followed the character from the screen to the newsstand. Aquaman was a successful book in the late Sixties…and the sales figures needed to call a book “successful” then were quite a bit higher than they were in the Nineties.

Aquaman has been the least understood, mis- and underused character in the DC Universe. There are so many stories and environments to use him in and so far nothing. He is the King of Atlantis, land of undiscovered science and magic. He has a super hot wife with strength and power of her own. His main ties are to the JLA but the seas border on more countries than the US. There are environmental disasters around the globe that would bring him alongside and against a variety of governments and superheroes / villains. Not to mention the drug trade, modern day pirates, the illegal human trade, over fishing, destruction of the coral reefs and oceans, tsunamis, earthquakes and so much more.
Hopefully DC will not bank solely upon John’s expert writing skills, but will attach a main event artist to this Reis would be perfect as would Benes or Jimenez or a hand full of others. Personally I would like to see Kenneth Rocafort make his mainstream comics debut, either on Aquaman or, preferably on Legion of Superheroes.

I_Captain Blanco

March 27, 2011 at 11:10 am

I just hope he doesn’t bring back that stupid goddamned hook.

This is going to be a good look. Now all we need is that Manhunter From Mars and the big 7 will all have titles.

This is great news!

Aquaman is one of my all time fave characters and gets unfairly looked over and made fun of.
Hopefully Mera, Lorena and Aqualad will all be there, I’m aslo hoping for some new powers and villains.

knightoftomorrow

March 27, 2011 at 11:25 am

I’d be more excited if Johns wasn’t writing it. I agree with DamianWayne, I’m pretty well burnt out on him after Blackest Night/Brightest Day.

I’m on board, especially since Geoff is writing it…. However, I’m much more clamoring for a Shazam title, moreso than an Aquaman one.

i always figured if any one could prove why Aquaman is one of the big guns. it would be Geof since he has proven that he can take certain characters that seem to be not used right and make them a hit. look forward to see how he works his magic on aqua man.

I’d normally take the under at 30 on how many issues before it’s canceled. But since it’s one of John’s pet projects, they’ll probably let it limp along for a while before putting it out of its misery.

The cartoon used to crack me up because they would have Aquaman riding a jet ski. So are they starting from scratch on the new series? Or leaving off with Sword of Atlantis?

Okay, I’m all for this. Much how I ignored Flash Rebirth after a lack luster opening, I shall too ignore Brightest Day and just enjoy Aquaman.

1. Sometimes I think Johns takes on these classic silver age characters just to see if he can fix them AGAIN.

2. Aquaman reached the height of his popularity under Peter David? Really? I loved much of David’s run, but I can’t imagine Aquaman was more popular then than he was in the 60s and early 70s.

3. Having said that, the greatest miniseries to never have been collected in one volume (now that Flex Mentallo is off the list) is The Atlantis Chronicles. It’s a “Watchmen” or “Camelot 3000″ level of epic.

4. I’ve never gotten the idea that since Aquaman (or Namor) is the king of the largest area of the world, that makes him more interesting as a character. In the DCU there are only, what, 5-6 underwater cities that comprise maybe 1000,000 individuals that can think on a level higher than instinct? That means Aquaman’s essentially the king of thousands of miles of underwater wastelands with a handful of oases thrown in. And the conflicts with nations on the land? Sure, because the thing I want to see most in my super-hero comics is international politics.

I’m sure that Johns will do as well with this as he has with anything he’s done in the past 15 years, but this is definitely one I’ll wait a couple of issues before I start picking it up.

nonobstant2000

March 27, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Is it Namor or Aquaman, writers are all bouded to a certain point.
Such characters should normally invades Earth for stopping water-pollution. Only Grant Morrison collided fiction against reality with ANIMAL MAN…Everything else is soap..

Ricardo Amaral

March 27, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I still think my favorite take on Aquaman was during the follow-up to The Atlantis Chronicles (the 4-issue mini and the late 80s sequence). Also, I love the Batman: Brave and Bold take as a fun adventurous king. It’s so much better than angst-ridden Johns current take on Brightest Day, in which Arthus sounds like a pissed-off Hal Jordan. So dull.

I think most of us expected this news eventually, but it’s nice to see it confirmed. Especially with Geoff writing, regardless of what the naysayers might think.

There’s absolutely no reason this book can’t be a big success if they do it right. None whatsoever.

…..and cancellation was scheduled for mid 2013

Do you have numbers to back up your assertion that the height of Aquaman’s popularity came in the 1990s under Peter David’s authorship. Aquaman’s first series in the 1960s likely sold much better than the book Peter David wrote in the 1990s. Comics in the 60s were canceled for numbers that most comics series were selling in the mid to late 1990s. Aquaman was popular enough in the 60s to have his own cartoon for a couple of years. Aquaman appeared in the anthology titles More Fun Comics and Adventure Comics in the 1940s and appeared in Adventure, Detective or World Finest Comics in the 1950s and into the 1960s before receiving his own title. Again comics were sold in much greater numbers during those periods. Throwing out such hyperbole and opinion as fact with no numbers to back it up or no research is sloppy, shoddy journalism.

I’ve clarified the statement; I meant in the modern era.

casual comics reader

March 27, 2011 at 4:46 pm

This is good news. I’ll take two.

Now how about a firestorm series ?

This is really good news. I’ll certainly give Aquaman a chance, but please no hook or water hand .

I’d rather he was writing Hawkman. I really miss this series.

Half of you are thinking it’ll get canceled… What Geoff Johns book has gotten canceled in years? He either leaves early (Booster Gold) or takes it to the top of the charts (Green Lantern/Flash). This is going to be a hit and DC knows it. He’s also written three of the last four major events. He’s DC’s Bendis, only each of his characters have a unique voice. This is going to rock, and you will all be eating your words.

This is great news, because I always thought Aquaman was a underrated character who needed a good writer too show how awesome he could really be!

FIRESTORM YES !

Geoff Johns ? AGAIN !?! Doesn’t DC have any other writers? Geezus.

I was really excited for a new Aquaman series (the last run was actually pretty enjoyable), but now my interest has shrunk to zero.

Geoff Johns and Brian Michael Bendis: two writers whose popularity defies all rationality.

@Dr What – I would love to see a Firestorm series too. And Scott Clark to keep penciling him! ;)

wish they had waited a few more weeks to announce this. I am still interested to see how brightest day is going to end. I guess all the characters that got dusted will come back again.

Johns will have Aquaman restored as the White Lantern! Just joking….oh lord, I hope I am joking. It would kinda make a weird sense, but then again, I was thinking that Deadman’s grandfather was going to be the chosen bearer of the White Lantern.

The Mad Monkey

March 28, 2011 at 5:21 am

I hope Johns is up for the task. There’s only so much you can do with Aquaman keeping watch over the Trouble Alert monitor and giving Maritess the evil eye all the time.

I bet it’s going to be EVS who will handle the art chores

Can he keep both hands?

It’s not a hook. It was never a hook. It’s a damned harpoon.

And for all that fans piss and moan about it, I remind you that as soon as every change I made to Aquaman went away, so did the readership. So maybe–just maybe–I knew what I was doing.

PAD

Wait, people posting on the internet not being well-informed?

SHOCK!! HORROR!! SARCASM!!

I don’t think he reads this forum, but I think Mr. Ellison would approve of your statement. For what it’s worth, I do too.

I’m sorta of two minds on the topic, ’cause I think PAD’s run on Aquaman is the best I’ve ever seen him (and I’ve read the ’60s and ’70s books). That said, I really dug and am digging Johns’ run on Green Lantern, and I was a big fan of the Emerald Twilight/Kyle Rayner years.

Hmmmm. Guess the moral of the story is “wait and see,” or “different strokes for different folks.” Or “look both ways before you cross the street.” Or “there’s always room for Jell-O.”

Well I’m really excited about this. Aquaman never seems to get any respect despite being one of the more powerful characters out there. And frankly, I love Peter David’s Aquaman, it remains my favorite Aquaman run to this day. And the harpoon was awesome.

I’m interested to see what Johns will do with the character,but Atlantis Chronicles,Time and Tide and Peter David’s (and later on Dan Jurgens)run on the regular title kinda has set the standard for what I go by regarding some great Aquaman stories.

I’ve always been a fan of Aquaman. I’m just excited that he’s getting another series.

I’m hoping Johns can capture the fun of the 1960′s Aquaman and add to that the depth given by PAD in the 1990′s.

Harpoon, hook, water-hand: none of that matters to me as long as it’s well-written. I don’t think the success of PAD’s run had anything to do with the harpoon and everything to do with the vision he had and the fact that he guided it from start to finish with that vision. I personally never cared for the harpoon, but always liked where PAD was going and wanted to see what happened next and was able to accept the harpoon because of that.

So Aquaman is Geoff Johns next project? Isn’t it time for this guy to try writing something other than cheesy superhero comics? I mean, after all these years, shouldn’t he have produced one completely original story by now? I’m not saying he should give up capes completely or anything, he is very successful at it. But most writers would at least try to do something else by now. Frank Miller moved on to do Sin City after his DC and Marvel work. Brubaker moved on to do Criminal and Incognito. Millar moved on to do Kick-Ass, etc… It’s time for Geoff Johns to do the same thing. Hell, it’s been time for Johns to do the same thing for years now. Since he’s a professional writer, I think he should try to be more ambitious instead of regurgitating siver age characters over and over again.

“Although Aquaman is often the butt of jokes, in large part due to his depiction in the Super Friends animated series,”

I think a large factor in Aquaman being seen as a joke was old Justice League stories where used as a plot device to let enemies escape due to him almost dying from being out of water to long.

@Peter David, I thought the sells dropped because you where no longer on the book. Plus the harpoon had to go because Aqua kept forgetting about when he goes to wipe after using the bathroom.

Truth be told, if I’d stayed on the book, I was going to embark on a storyline which was going to result in the restoring of his hand. The harpoon had served its purpose; it got people talking about the book.

In any event, truth be told, I’m going to be VERY interested in what Geoff does with him. If anyone can get people stoked about Aquaman again, it’s him.

PAD

Mr PAD:

Glad to see you pop up here. I met you years ago at GenCon (back when it was still in Milwaukee… Thanks yet again for the pizza you bought everyone!). Although you mostly talked Star Trek that day (Q-Squared had just come out), your talking about Aquaman got me interested in that character again (or really, interested for the FIRST TIME) and I loved what you did with the character. Including the HARPOON! So sorry that it didn’t last.

You definitely did something tright. So much so that they adapted your version of Aquaman for the Justice League animated series, of course… I only wish they used the character more often on the show. I have the tall action figure of him proudly disaplayed in my den/”geek room” too.

Thanks again for all the good work, Peter.

Aquaman is a total A-lister. 1st string DC character through and through.

Can’t wait to see him return in his own title.