"Tomb Raider" Finds Its Lara Croft in "Ex Machina's" Alicia Vikander
Video Games, Film
Warner Home Video announced yesterday that the animated movie Green Lantern: Emerald Knights will arrive in stores June 7, 10 days before the release of the big Green Lantern feature film.
The movie has Hal Jordan telling a newly recruited Arisia six interlocking tales of various Green Lanterns, including Abin Sur, Kilowog, Laira and Mogo. The six stories are written by Geoff Johns, Michael Green and Marc Guggenheim, Dave Gibbons, Peter J. Tomasi, Eddie Berganza, Alan Burnett and Todd Casey.
It features the voice talent of Nathan Fillion (Firefly), Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men), musician Henry Rollins, wrestler Rowdy Roddy Piper and Wade Williams (Prison Break). The film is executive produced by Bruce Timm and directed by Lauren Montgomery, Jay Oliva and Christopher Berkeley.
The press release also noted that the film will include a preview of the next DC Comics animated movie, Batman: Year One. You can find the entire release after the jump.
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights will have its world premiere tomorrow, April 1 at 6 p.m. at WonderCon in San Francisco. A panel discussion by filmmakers and voice cast will immediately follow the screening.
DISCOVER THE ORIGIN OF THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS IN ALL-NEW DC UNIVERSE ANIMATED ORIGINAL MOVIE GREEN LANTERN: EMERALD KNIGHTS COMING JUNE 7, 2011 FROM WARNER HOME VIDEO
Primetime TV Stars Nathan Fillion, Elisabeth Moss Headline Voice Cast; Available as Blu-ray Combo Pack & DVD
BURBANK, CA, (March 30, 2011) – The origins of the ultimate intergalactic police force are revealed across six interlocking tales of the legendary Green Lantern Corps in the all-new Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, the next entry in the popular, ongoing series of DC Universe Animated Original Movies. Building up to the release of the highly anticipated live action film, Green Lantern, in theaters June 17, Green Lantern: Emerald Knights arrives on Blu-Ray™, DVD, On Demand and for Download June 7, 2011 from Warner Premiere, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation.
The full-length animated Green Lantern: Emerald Knights will be distributed by Warner Home Video as a Blu-Ray™ Combo Pack and DVD. The film will also be available On Demand and for Download.
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights weaves six legendary stories of the Green Lantern Corps’ rich mythology around preparations for an attack by an ancient enemy. As the battle approaches, Hal Jordan mentors new recruit Arisia in the history of the Green Lantern Corps, telling tales of Avra (the first Green Lantern) and several of Hal’s comrades – including Abin Sur, Kilowog, Laira and Mogo. In the end, Arisia must rise to the occasion to help Hal, Sinestro and the entire Green Lantern Corps save the universe from the destructive forces of Krona.
Primetime television stars Nathan Fillion (Castle) and Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men) lead a diverse array of performers as the voices behind the Green Lantern Corps.
Fillion provides the voice of the animated film’s central character, Hal Jordan, the human Green Lantern assigned to Sector 2814 (which includes Earth). Fillion has starred in several primetime television series including his current hit Castle as well as Desperate Housewives, Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He has also developed a popular cult following as a pair of Joss Whedon’s heroic captains: Capt. Mal Reynolds in the space-western series Firefly and follow-up film, Serenity; and Captain Hammer in Whedon’s internet sensation Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog. Fillion returns to the DC Universe after his successful turn as Steve Trevor in the animated film Wonder Woman, and has performed voice work on the animated series Justice League, Robot Chicken, The Venture Bros., and several Halo video games.
Moss gives voice to Arisia, a young recruit forced into her first mission on just her third day as a Green Lantern. Prior to starring as the ever-evolving Peggy Olson in AMC’s ground-breaking series Mad Men, Moss was featured on The West Wing, Invasion and Picket Fences. Moss has been active in voiceovers for animation with previous roles in Steven Spielberg Presents Animaniacs, Freakazoid! and It’s Spring Training, Charlie Brown!.
The voice cast for Green Lantern: Emerald Knights also features actor/spoken word artist Henry Rollins (Sons of Anarchy, The Henry Rollins Show) as Kilowog, Jason Isaacs (the Harry Potter films) as Sinestro, legendary professional wrestler “Rowdy” Roddy Piper (They Live) as Bolphunga, Arnold Vosloo (The Mummy) as Abin Sur, Kelly Hu (The Vampire Diaries) as Laira and Wade Williams (Prison Break) as Deegan. Radio Hall of Fame commentator/talk show host Michael Jackson voices the esteemed Guardian, Ganthet.
Bruce Timm is executive producer of Green Lantern: Emerald Knights. Directors are Lauren Montgomery, Jay Oliva and Christopher Berkeley. The six interlocking tales are penned by comic book luminaries Geoff Johns, Dave Gibbons, Peter J. Tomasi, Eddie Berganza, Alan Burnett, Todd Casey and Michael Green & Marc Guggenheim.
“Green Lantern: Emerald Knights is filled with wonderful backstory and exposition on the Green Lantern Corps going far beyond Hal Jordan, making this film a perfect complement to the live-action major motion picture, Green Lantern,” said Hersin Magante, WHV Marketing Director, Family & Animation.
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights Blu-Ray™ Combo Pack has over 2 1/2 hours of exciting content, including:
• Feature film (est. 75 min)
• Sneak Peak at Batman: Year One, the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie
• Behind-the-Scenes look at All-Star Superman
• Featurette: “Only the Bravest: Tales of The Green Lantern Corps” – Bravery is the unique, identifying characteristic of each Green Lantern. Yet what does it mean to be brave? How has the world of Green Lantern and the Corps made bravery into something we can all relate to? This story reveals and defines the bond that holds together the Green Lanterns’ affection for the ring, and the ring’s unwavering loyalty in return.
• Featurette: “Why Green Lantern Matters: The Talent of Geoff Johns” – Geoff Johns is a force to be reckoned with. He’s not only the Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment, he’s a New York Times bestselling writer with a fresh and vibrant storytelling perspective. Johns discusses his contemporary take on the Green Lantern character and why that character resonates in our culture.
• Pod: From Comic Book to Screen: Abin Sur – Take a peek into Geoff John’s “Green Lantern Secret Origin” book which, for the first time, showed fans what really happened to Abin Sur before he crashed landed on Earth, and passed his ring to Hal Jordan.
• Pod: Beautiful … But Deadly – From Comic Book to Screen: Laira Omoto – Green Lantern: Emerald Knights again creatively weaved a riveting comic book short story into the intricate plot of the film while introducing the honorable Green Lantern, Laira Omoto. Known as one of the Green Lantern Corps’ fiercest warriors, this mini-featurette takes a deeper look into the history and origin of this humanoid marital artist and her family feud with the Golden Dragon!
• Audio Commentary: Dan DiDio and Geoff Johns
• “Green Lantern” Digital Comic Book
• Two bonus episodes from animated television series handpicked by Bruce Timm.
• Standard and high definition versions of the feature film
• Digital copy on disc of the feature film
Street Date: June 7, 2011
Order Due Date: May 3, 2011
Languages: English and Spanish
Audio: Dolby Surround Stereo
Color / Closed Captioned
MPAA Rating: PG
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
Blu-ray Combo Pack – $24.98 SRP
Price: SD 1 Disc – $19.98 SRP
BD Combo Pack UPC: 883929136902
1-Disc UPC: 883929137411