Is this the full line-up for the new Justice League?

Toon Tumblers, makers of some really awesome glasses featuring some of your favorite comic book heroes, revealed one of their San Diego Comic Con exclusives last night on Facebook, a Justice League tumbler. And here’s the artwork:

Justice League

As you can see, it features the seven heroes we’ve seen in the preview shot that’s been making the rounds since DC announced the new Justice League book coming in September (the original seven – Martian Manhunter + Cyborg), as well as several more heroes — Firestorm, Atom, Deadman, Hawkman, Green Arrow, Mera, maybe Black Canary and another character I couldn’t easily identify, but DC Women Kicking Ass identifies as Element Woman.

No official word has come from DC that these characters are indeed the rest of the new Justice League, so it’s speculation at this point. It makes sense, based on the design, but for some reason I thought they said there were only seven more characters in the League, not eight. But maybe I’m misremembering.

Via DC Women Kicking Ass

Comments

I really wish Martian Manhunter was still part of the Big 7, but I gotta admit this team looks kick-ass. Really interested to see how things work out.

Yeah, the Jigsaw Superman and Batman costumes have to go.

Googam son of Goom

June 26, 2011 at 10:31 am

Now this is a JLA I can get behind, however I do prefer the classic costumes. In any case this is a good move if this is indeed the JLA.

Seams.

Seams are the new silly gimmick masquerading as character design.

It worked well for Ultimate Captain America because it fit the whole design and inspiration behind the character, but it really doesn’t need to be there on Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern.

Cyborg? Sure, lots of extra lines to show the intricacy of his suit. But none of the other guys. Just like only Aquaman really needs to have that mesh scaling design. It works for him.

Also, I love how the extra seams make it so they ALL HAVE UNDERWEAR ON THE OUTSIDE NOW, but it is the same color as their pants so it is totally radical.

Damn, I’m being really cynical. I need to talk about something positive.

Hey, it doesn’t matter what they do with the big leaguers, at least I can still enjoy the Secret Six….

Oh wait.

Aquaman looks like a ten year old.

Ummm Lackshmana you may of forgot some collars here and there.;) Still not sure how I feel about this although with DC of the last few years I tend to buy Elseworld story one shots and trades so not a huge effect on me. Still interesting thing they are trying. I guess with the comics business the way it is you have to try something.

Former DC Reader

June 26, 2011 at 11:26 am

I’m done with DC

Might’nt the “Element Woman” be Amythsyt, Princess of Gemworld? I’m not a big DC follower, but wasn’t DC teasing that they were going to do something with her?

I had a thought awhile ago.
For how long is this post-Flashpoint universe actually going to be the norm,
before it’s corrected by more Flash-related events, later?

Probably about a year, I think.

Sigh. Remember when Kurt Busiek and George Perez brought back the original big 7 in JLA/Avengers? And even thought it was a result of some kind of alternate reality/time travel screw-up, it felt really right? And nobody complained. Sigh.

The woman on the right above Mera appears to be Miranda Shrieve from the Flashpoint: Frankenstein and the Creatures of the Unknown mini-series. Check it out:

I can see how creative Lee is, after all Superman and Batman´s uniform are alike. Superman doesn´t need an armor, is he The man of still of not? Ah! With this new retcon, maybe he isn´t.

I’m sick of this shit, always leaving J’onn off the League.

Huh. Superman’s new look is really growing on me.
As for J’onn, given that the first story arc takes place in the past, I imagine he’s still a founder, but took off with Stormwatch after a length of time.

Unnecessary lines. Unnecessary lines everywhere.

THIS ISN’T MAH LEAGUE HARGLE BARGLE GARGLE WAAH!

Enough, whiners.

Artists who hate drawing characters like Jack of Hearts are gonna go NUTS over all those freaking seams. Not to mention The Flash’s new boot design.

It’s just plain ridiculous.

That’s on a glass, right? I. Love. That. Glass.

Looks just plain ugly. Super ugly. No aesthetic appeal t all.

As a Marvel reader, I’m in. I just can’t deal with the New Avengers stuff anymore. Bendis can’t seem to write just ‘Avengers’ stuff. I read the first six issues of ‘Avengers’ and it’s like a cartoon. Plus, they put Spider-man in every bloody book. They ruin the character, promise stuff they can’t and won’t pay off and then say I quit. They put him in every book. Every book! Avengers! New Avengers! FF! new mutants… I mean, Avengers Academy! X-Men! Thankfully, not in the Red Hulk book.

I read Flashpoint #1 last week. Good stuff. It maybe the alternate DC Universe, but I’m intrigued. It had a plot and everything. Hey, was that really Thomas Wayne? I want to know I think I’ll find issue #2.

Etc.

Oh-kay…before I get into my well-thought-out critique, I’ll start with my top ten pop culture quotes that fit my feelings toward this unveiling today:

1. Dom DeLuise as the film director in ‘Blazing Saddles’: “WROOONG!!!”
2. ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic’s ‘I Can’t Watch This’: “It sucks, and that’s-no-lie, it’s about as much fun as watching paint dry…”
3. Jon Lovitz as Jay Sherman in “The Critic”: “It STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!”
4. The Sea Captain in an episode of ‘The Simpsons’:”Y’arr, she blows!”
5. Marge Simpson in one episode: “Those fudruckers!”
6. Grandpa Simpson in a flashback in the episode ‘Mother Simpson’: “Booooo!!! Bring on Sha-Na-Naaaa!!!”
7. Brian Griffin in the Family Guy episode ‘April in Quahog’: “Those DICKS!”
8. The Who’s ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’: “Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.”
9. ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic’s parody ‘Won’t Eat Prunes Again’: “Eat the new sauce, same as the old sauce.”
10. Pretty much everybody: “What the heck is this?!?!?!?!?”

Now, my formal critique:
This, people, is NOT the Justice League. It may resemble the Justice League. It may have members from a classic lineup; it may have some new people; but this gaggle of redesigned super-people bears more of a resemblance to a group of late-teen to twenty-something pop idols garbed in the (now seam-crazy) colors of our childhood heroes and heroines–either that, or the cast of “The OC” at a masquerade. This League is nothing more than a mere shell of its former self. Most of the costume choices reek of a decade almost everyone wants to forget (the 1990′s, of course), the lineup apparently is bereft of the supposed “diversity” DC claims to be committing to, and Superman greatly looks as if he sold out because of the lawsuit that seeks to undermine his status as an icon of popular culture. I will say that adding Deadman and Mera is intriguing, but simply displacing the Martian Manhunter is an unwise move. Why they decided to add (if that mysterious woman is indeed Miranda Shrieve) Buffy the Vampire Slayer and an imitator of Metamorpho is beyond me. This is a team that would work in a feature film; this is not a team for comic books. It’s as if they were redesigned in order to sell a line of clothing, a young adult book series, or a toy series…a toy series where every character comes with an action feature that sacrificed poseabilitity or playability. This is not the Justice League; this is a poorly-designed costume party on Halloween night, whose wearers have no idea of the history behind each of the characters they dress as.

@Squashua
As long as our criticisms of these relaunched concepts are formal and well-written, we are NOT whiners.

Seeing this it suddenly dawns on me that Lee is attempting to mimic the modern design sensibilities of superheroes on film, which pretty much always have visible seaming or mesh or some sort of extra element to them. Batman, for example, has had visible seams and armoring on film (and in action figure form) for well over a decade now, so it’s not like this is some new or random element.

IRATE DC FANATIC

June 26, 2011 at 9:00 pm

This is the final straw! I will never, ever, ever buy another DC comic for as long as I live! No matter what they do or who is involved creatively, I promise to never spend another penny on anything that DC publishes or any product that has a DC logo on it. I am so upset, I’ve enrolled in grief therapy to help me deal with my pain. This is surely the greatest trauma ever inflicted on the comics buying public. I will not stand for this! I didn’t vote in the last three elections but I will write and sign over a thousand petitions and call for and participate in boycotts forever if thats what it takes to make this irredeemable injustice a thing of the past. *cries into DC logo-embroidered pillow*

I am only buying Gail Simone-authored comics from here on out. And maybe Supergirl if its good… and maybe some other stuff, too. But that’s IT! I mean it this time!

@IRATE DC FANATIC
Wanna bet?
I’m serious. You go the entire year without a single DC-related item. Marvel as well. Care to take the challenge? You cave, you have to listen to a whole 24 hours of Allman Brothers guitar riffs.

I am a very open-minded fellow for this kind of thing. I am not really opposed to the idea of a reboot. But the more I see of it, the more I keep asking myself:

Why the hell they had to go and get Jim Lee to do this? It makes it automatically dated and silly and 90s-ish. It’s such a shame, because I think a reboot could do DC a lot of good. But Jim Lee? That is like rebooting the James Bond franchise and bringing in Christopher Lambert or another 1980s name to star as Bond.

Some of the designs reminds me of the art used for a Wizard article where they re-imagined the DCU in an Ultimates way.

I_Captain Blanco

June 27, 2011 at 6:46 am

@Acer

I think it’s pretty clear that IRATE DC FANATIC’s entire post was satirical, or at the very least, highly sarcastic.

There is something about Superman’s new threads that I really like – still pretty classic, but metalic looking. Looks more updated I guess.

Wonder Woman’s outfit on the other hand is not looking pretty – For starters the colours dont mesh well. I think its the silver more than anything. Should charge its back to gold – with navy (or just plain blue) pants instead of black.

I really don’t think the added characters (after the main 8) are going to be on the team. I think its just showing us the updated heavy hitters/main cast of the new DCU – don’t nearly all of them have there own title?

You gotta love the names that some people are using. Although I think two of them are the same person, just trying to be heard in stereo! haha…

And its nice to see we’ve got the standard… “I’m finished with DC foreva!” – Good, fuck off then. We’re sick of you anyway.

I am really looking forward to the many new titles – and will be buying the most DC titles I have brought in some time.

KrisAndrewDavies

June 27, 2011 at 9:02 am

Relaunch/Reboot/Reimagining
The major problem I have is not it’s existence but the lack of any real information other than cryptic clues. We know the Bat-books and Lantern line are going to keep the relative status quo, but there is little information relating to Superman and it’s making me nervous.
I am not saying that I want all the answers straight up, but give us a little something to go on other than the soundbites – which sound similar to those spouted by JMS et al when doing press for Earth One.
I’ve gone through the 52 and picked out the ones I’m going to get monthly and what ones I’ll get in trade. 52 new books – before any other mini’s are announced – seems quite a bit and I can’t see them all lasting beyond the first 13 issues.
Makes the retro line make sense now… (Very excited about the Grant/Breyfogle return to Batman)
Costumes
I kinda like them – apart from all those ridiculous lines. I assume then when it comes down to the nitty-gritty of drawing the monthly books those lines are going to start to disappear. I’d prefer that Superman, Batman and Flash not all shop at the same shoe shop… I’d also prefer gold in Wonder Woman’s costume rather than silver.
JLA
J’onn should be there. Cyborg is ok, but he isn’t one of the big 7.
And though the picture is cool and all, I’m glad that there are armour lines/seams on Batman and Green Lanterns costumes as it makes Superman’s look more in keeping with the uniform look and stopping us wondering if he is actually wearing armour.

*Let me switch out my #10 quote with something better:

10. Mike Myers as Wayne in ‘Wayne’s World 2′-”No Stairway? Denied!!”

2 of my smartarse posts were deleted? Wheres the fun in that JK? Party Pooper… haha

Neil Mukherjee

June 28, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Super line up for JL, now it’s time for the role call..