First look at the (new) cover of DC’s Action Comics #1 [Updated]

Action Comics #1, by Rags Morales

Just ahead of Comic-Con International in San Diego, the New York Post has unveiled a first look at what’s apparently the actual cover for September’s Action Comics #1, part of DC Comics’ line-wide relaunch.

Drawn by series artist Rags Morales, the cover is obviously different from the one that premiered last month, playing up action — lowercase “a” — rather than the iconic imagery of the original Action Comics #1. The art in the Post is small, but it appears as if the numbers of the police cruisers are “19″ and “38,” the year the series, and Superman, debuted. It’s possible that the earlier cover could be used as the variant; however, the solicitation credits that to Jim Lee and Scott Williams.

The newspaper notes what was already fairly clear: that while most of the relaunch titles, including Batman and Green Lantern, “will showcase DC’s iconic heroes when they’re well into their careers,” Action will dwell on the early adventures of the Man of Steel — during which he wore blue jeans, a T-shirt and a little red cape.

“We felt it was time for the big adventures of a 21st-century Paul Bunyan who fights for the weak and downtrodden against bullies of all kinds, from robot invaders and crime lords to corrupt city officials,” writer Grant Morrison says, building on his earlier description of the superhero as “a Bruce Springsteen version of Superman.” “The new look reflects his status as a street-level defender of the ordinary man and woman.”

Update: DC has released a larger version of Morales’ cover, along with additional details about Action Comics and Superman, confirming earlier reports that Clark Kent and Lois Lane aren’t married in the New DCU: “Clark Kent is single and living on his own. He has never been married. [...] Lois Lane is dating a colleague at the DAILY PLANET (and his name isn’t Clark Kent) and she has a new position with the paper.” Read the rest after the break.

* This Superman is very much an alien, one struggling to adjust to his adopted home. In the series, he must come to terms with both the loss of his home world, as well as the loss of both of his adopted parents. He is more Kal-El from the planet Krypton than Clark Kent from Kansas. He’s a loner trying to find his place in the world.

* The series’ first storyline will explore the origins of Superman’s costume, as it evolves from a look that includes jeans and work boots to a new look: a suit of battle armor that pays tribute to his Kryptonian past.

* His great powers have limits. When the series begins, Superman can leap tall buildings, but his ability to fly is in its infancy.

And in the SUPERMAN ongoing comic book series, by writer George Perez and artist Jesus Merino, will be set in present day continuity and will unleash a series of new challenges for Superman and his alter ego Clark Kent.

* Clark Kent is single and living on his own. He has never been married.

* Lois Lane is dating a colleague at the DAILY PLANET (and his name isn’t Clark Kent) and she has a new position with the paper.

Timeless and modern, classic and contemporary, but younger, brasher and more brooding, this is Superman. The New Man of Tomorrow.

Comments

What tha ****?

But.. But… But… The previous cover was amazing, so much better! Iconic even! In what universe is this a better #1 cover than the other one?

Oh well, I still love the concept of blue collar Superman, and you can’t gor wrong with Morisson…

Well, we always complain that we want something different in comics, right? Well, here it is. Bruce Springsteen.

I agree, that other cover was just amazing. I like this one, but maybe this should the cover to #2. Is it just me, or does he look like Captain Marvel?

Are they trying to embarass themselves???

the son becomes

July 18, 2011 at 6:54 am

Why the cape?

Is he wearing Krypto’s little cape?

Sarcasm aside, nice strong image. I preferred the first one but I can appreciate they want his face seen on the cover. Looking forward to reading it.

Oh Jesus. The short sleeves. The tiny cape.

DC. This guy is supposed to be a super hero. If you want a blue collar guy who fights for the downtrodden then do that, and lose the cape, and call him “Steel” like you did before. If you want 1938-style Superman who fights gangsters and corrupt politicians, then do that and call it Superman and put him back in the unitard with the trunks and cape.

I’m not picking this up, but I wasn’t before, so no harm no foul on DC’s part. It’s well-drawn, at least…!

AnxiousPenman

July 18, 2011 at 6:57 am

So … I’m guessing that Kal-El Superboy once again no longer exists and that Legion continuity will be f***ed up yet again?

Is this as bad as Red Superman and Blue Superman? Or worse?

This is just bloody awful. So long, Supes!

I think it works, Superman is the first superhero in the DCU now and this reflects it, he isn’t going to know what a hero should look like which is probably why he is wearing this. Perhaps in this DC Universe Ma Kent can’t make an actual costume. Heck he probably won’t even be in costume in Justice League 1, after all they’ve said that the uniforms the Justice leauge are wearing are to give the team a similar look to one another.

Horrible. It’s a bad April Fool’s joke, and the joke’s on us apparently.

You guys don’t get it.
Superman, when he first appeared, had Green Arrow’s sense of social justice, the Hulk’s strength and leaping ability and Quicksilver’s speed. He fought corruption as often as he fought criminals, he was fighting for the “little man” under Siegel and Shuster’s original incarnation.
Morrison is doing JUST what he said he wanted to do—recreate the early Superman, complete with his fighting against social injustice. Superman fought against SLUMS, his first adventure took on a corrupt Congressman and a munitions profiteer, he didn’t even MEET a super-villain (the Ultra-Humanite) until after his first year of adventures.
Morrison wants to recreate a world not used to superheroes, and see how they will react. Watch Superman get hunted by police for vigilantism, watch him ignore the law to fight for justice.
—Al

This is surely a poor costume design, but that is a far cry from a bad comic. I’m happy that they’re acknowledging Superman’s origins as a street level hero a la Siegel/Shuster Superman.

I liked the other cover a lot more. Wouldn’t those regular threads get torn to bits every time he gets shot at by hundreds of bullets and lasers? I’m not a fan of the cape. Why not just get rid of it? I’m also not a fan of the rolled up jeans–that’s so early ’00s. He’d look more fashionable if he had his jeans scrunched/tucked into his boots, the way most guys wear them these days. I also REALLY LIKED the faded greyish light blue of his t-shirt on the other cover a lot more. I’m not a fan of the bright blue here.

…Actually, I just took a look at the old cover and his shirt is darker. But it still looks better the way it’s a more muted colour. I also really hate the knee patches on both covers. If they won’t get rid of the red cape can they not at least get rid of the knee patches?

Christopher Alvarez

July 18, 2011 at 7:21 am

Superboy’s (Kon El) costume with the black t-shirt and jeans makes sense now.

LOL!!! I love it when people bitch over each and every damn thing in the world.

“OH NOES! He is wearing underwear over his pants!! I can’t buy this!!” Okay, DC changes it to actual street smart clothing.

“OH NOES! He is NOT wearing underwear over his pants!! I can’t buy this!!”

Its infinitely clear some people would never have bought the comic and just like to bitch regardless. And for people who aren’t buying a comic over a costume….. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I think what’s important here is the idea that Superman is not yet Superman. He’s still finding his role in society and clearly breaking some rules while doing it. I’m more interested to note how Morrison will reinvent the villain Superman faces. The uniqueness of superman is in his unwavering pursuit of truth, justice and formerly the American way. Superman at his best is an inspiring character and I’m curious to know how Morrison will cause him to do that as Clark and Supes.

As much as I love Supes-
I can’t help but see ANY of this as a feeble attempt to save face after DC Comics’ losing all the rights to the Kryptonian/Smallville Superman origin to the family of the Schuster/Siegels (ALL INVOLVED are being little bitches about the WHOLE thing- Creator Family- stop dicking everyone around, and DC- just fucking pay them some royalties and KEEP SUPERMAN the SAME GODDAMN SUPERMAN HE WAS.) It’s THE FANS who are suffering now. Assholes

I thought the 52 issue reboot was bad before. It’s looking worse every day. T-shirt and jeans? seriously? tiny little… cape……. Yeah. They can keep their Bruce Springsteen Superman.

I don’t care what the art shows (it’s really not that bad though), it’s Grant Morrison writing the main Superman title. I could see a problem if this was written by, say Scott Lobdell or something…..

What I’m not really understanding is, if they’re putting him in plain clothes, why the cape?

Sure it gives for a more striking silhouette, but he just looks like an overgrown child playing superhero otherwise. I can accept no one being able to make a costume for him yet, and that gives a better explanation to his new armored costume that won’t get damaged in every fire or gunfight, but the cape doesn’t make sense with the jeans and t-shirt.

It’s not the costume or outfit that bothers me. It’s what they’ve changed including the marriage. I’m sorry but I can’t buy this anymore or any other DC book for that matter. Make mine IMAGE!

I’m not sure which I dislike more, this “costume”, or the super-armor look he’ll be sporting in other books. I love Superman. I’m guessing this is some kind of flashback book, since Justice League and Superman have him in the crappy armor looking suit? I don’t see this rising Superman to greatness. I see the average or new comic fan looking at this like WTF??? This seems like it will only appeal to the Morrison die hards.

I really don’t understand why people are freaking out. We’ve all seen the cover to JL so we know its not his permanent new threads, rather a mock up costume he wears since the idea of superheroes has not been invented yet..

I think the jeans and boots thing works really well, this is the first superman comic I’m really interested in reading every month, and I can’t for the life of me understand those who are saying this looks “silly” compared to blue tights and red underwear.

Its as if they have an idea in their heads of what something should be, and the moment something other than that appears, they lose their sh*t… oh, well, what can you do.

MB the sh+thead

July 18, 2011 at 7:49 am

@MB: Yes because you haven’t read anything of Lobdell and consider him a bad writer

Turd.

MB the sh+thead

July 18, 2011 at 7:50 am

@Yul: Yeah, you sure will enjoy the crap IMAGe puts out

Believe me.

Ultimate Angry Depression Superman? I could get behind this.

MB the sh+thead

July 18, 2011 at 7:52 am

Also DC needs to get rid of all the fat unshowered turds posting in this thread.

Time for new fans that aren’t man-child retards.

It’s OK. Not great but OK.

Why does he look like Capt. Marvel?

If DC wanted to destroy Superman or good, good work DC, Didio, Harras, Johns and Morrison! As a huge and longtime Superman fan, I am ashamed of this crap!

Simon DelMonte

July 18, 2011 at 7:59 am

I’ll say it again:

1, Read before criticizing.

Hugo Sleestak

July 18, 2011 at 8:10 am

I have no idea what Morrison and company are doing, and so can’t really judge it. BUT – the first thing I thought of when I saw this image was “Superbaby.” Little red cape, short sleeves, etc. You silver agers have to remember Superbaby – the adventures of Superman as a toddler! Even as a ten year old, Superbaby just seemed to be a really goofy idea.

I’m down with the street-level clothes but the other cover was SOOOOO much better for a first issue. Much more iconic.

“Bruce Springsteen version of Superman”??

John Peel famously described Springsteen as “Powerfully Average”. I get the same feeling from that cover – the original one was great.

whew this costume is 100 times worse than the Wonder Woman revamp that had so many people raging on the Internet. Morrison fans who defend this costume are complete hypocrites. The stories may end up being good – but that costume is gosh-awful

so let me get this straight. They are relaunching the DCU to make it more “modern”, so the first thing they do is make Superman a cross between a mythological lumberjack from the early 1900s and a singer from the 1970s, wearing a costume that looks like it’s from 1993.

The original was better but this is great too. Obviously this isn’t his new official costume though (as seen on Justice League and Superman) so what’s all the bitching about anyway. Regardless the idea of a working class superman slowly gaining his power and working his way into being a superhero is fantastic. People complaining about a “Springsteen Superman” clearly just need to read more Superman…or listen to more Springsteen. This costume represents his American working class upbringing and the values that came with it, which define what Superman is all about.

“:You guys don’t get it.”4

Actually, it seems that people ARE getting it just fine. The current DC ‘brain trust’ is going out of their way to alienate their readership base. Not the first time they’ve done so, BTW.

“I’ll say it again: 1, Read before criticizing. 2. It’s Morrison. By now you know if like his take on the icons. I think he’s a genius. And I will be there for issue one.”

And I’ll say this again: 1. It’ a preview, which means it’s still FAIR GAME. If DC didn’t want a reaction, then maybe they shouldn’t release stuff like this, and assume they’ll get roses for it. 2. Grant Morrison remains highly overrated and polarizing, and one shouldn’t assume that everyone is going to merely roll over for his latest drug-induced ramblings. YMMV.

Not really all that excited. The writing better be brilliant Morrison or I may finally have a reason to drop some books. Not a Morrison zombie myself, liked him on Justice League, disliked his Batman and pretty much everything that came out of his Bats story. Awful tripe. Hoping his new take on Superman will ring true – but the images thus far – not winning me over. Will wait and see.

I’m eager to see what they do with the new Superman. I wondered if maybe we’re starting in Smallville, but this image gives me the impression the story starts in Metropolis. I’m guessing his “origin” will either be assumed or they’ll fill in the blanks and the story progresses.

I thought the original cover was a little too evil looking in a sense that he was supposed to be an iconic hero that fights for truth and justice. The darker image gave me this feeling that perhaps the character was wavering between good and evil as he searched for his place in the world.

The new image just released makes me feel like he just did something good but is being chased down because no one understands him. He’s human but has super-strength and can fly so he must be a freak and should be shot, never mind that he just stopped a bank robbery or saved a school bus full of kids from driving off a bridge.

Whatever the case may be, I look forward to the title.

In Grant We Trust.

“Wait and see” (Ray Charles)

I’m sorry, but I guess I can’t stand living in a world where Ma and Pa Kent are not around. That was always the best part of the post Man of Steel era, in which we had Clark Kent who happened to disguise himself as Superman, not the other way around. DC, you are seriously messing this all up.

No we do get it. The social injustice and what not? That’s all find and dandy, but this out fit. This is pure crap in a hat.

I completely agree with Travis:

“He is supposed to be the first superhero folks, not a super beauty contest contestant. Get over yourselves. Wait for the book to come out. Pay $2.99 and read it. Then you can complain about it. If you don’t read it then you have nothing to complain about. If you don’t actually buy it but “steal” it then your just sinking DC’s ship that much faster.
I would love to see some of these folks who post on here make their own Superman costume with stuff around the house and post their pictures. I bet they would ALL look pretty crummy by comparison. I love the look. It is a simplistic style, as it should be. GAH!”

Although — Pay $3.99. No short changing the comic store employee now… ^^

Everytime they release a new picture, the costumes look even more ridiculous than the one before.

do some of you walk down the street, see someone on jeans and a t-shirt (sans caps. that would be cool tho), and say; “Yer costume sucks!”?

how some of you can think that this is worse than a man wearing a circus strongman outfit to fight crime is just silly.

i am getting all kinds of nerdy/giddy at this. the book cant come soon enough!

I have been reading superman stories for a long time now, and my initial reaction to the relaunch (or reboot whatever) was decidedly negative. NOTHING I have seen so far makes me want to read more than 7 of the new titles. The new/old superman idea just nauseates me. I like a married supes and lois, and I love the Legion, which has me even more worried based on the new stories. Point being, if you wanna read this junk, read it. That is your right, as is our right to disagree and blast it as garbage.,

It’s official: DC has finally run out of ideas. Superman is the icon of all comic icons — the progenitor, the original. And look how they treat him — as if they were embarrassed of his history, his back-story. He has the most recognizable and most imitated costume, and DC won’t be happy until they’ve ruined every aspect of Superman that made him unique.

While there have been many successful re-boots of characters in the past (the Flash looks so much better than when he ran about with a winged salad bowl on his head), this is not one of them. Dear DC, giving Superman short sleeves will not bring in more readers — it will merely make your character seem like it’s trying to be hip, like when you gave him that dopey looking mullet in the 90′s.

Superman is a timeless image. It has been with us our entire lives. We know what it means, we accept the meaning of the brand, and to some extent, cherish it. Superman as a character is almost beyond belief, the embodiment of perfection. Why tamper with perfection?

So what causes less creative people to tamper with great works? Too many reasons to mention here, but my guess is fear. Fear that not enough books are being sold. Fear that the copyright for Supeman is in jeopardy. Fear that someone will notice that those who are charged with the care and promotion of Superman can keep him relevant in the 21st Century. Fear that the character is actually too iconic and can only fail.

My opinion is that Superman is a great character. He has a solid supporting cast of Jimmy, Lois, et al. What he doesn’t have is a wide selection of quality villains. After Lex and Braniac, the herd starts to really thin down. The next real badass is Darkseid, and we all know that’s a stretch. Doomsday — that was comedy, right? What an awful nemisis. That’s why Batman is far more interesting. Same for Marvel — better villains. Work on your villains DC, not your iconic, much loved, highly recognizable character.

@DoctorBargain

‘“Because it all derived from Superman. I mean, I love all the characters, but Superman is just this perfect human pop-culture distillation of a really basic idea. He’s a good guy. He loves us. He will not stop in defending us. How beautiful is that? He’s like a sci-fi Jesus. He’ll never let you down.” -Grant Morrison

As far as I’m concerned, any writer who feels that way can dress him up in a clown suit for all I care because he GETS the character. It doesn’t matter how he dresses as long as he ACTS like Superman. With Grant on board, I haven’t been this excited for one of the core Superman titles in years.’

You keep those rose-coloured glasses if it makes you feel better. But with things like

- “more Kal-El from the planet Krypton than Clark Kent from Kansas”
- “a loner trying to find his place in the world”
- “younger, brasher and more brooding”

That’s not sci-fi Jesus. That’s Smallville tv angstfest combined with a stupid need to divorce Superman from his human connections.

Pfft, DC even gave Lois a new relationship as if making an especially strongarmed point that noooo, no Clark/Lois dynamic for you, silly comic readers.

And I won’t even comment on the daft uber-retro kitsch including the Bruce Springteen thing.

This will be awesome. AL SCHROEDER is totally right on. Moz has already done his take on “classic / true / weisenberg – to – modern day supes. This approach clearly mixes in the 1940s version and the “bildungsroman” approach. Awesome (and though Rags wouldn’t be my first guess for illustrating this slant, he’s actually very much in the mold of the kinds of artists that Mo’son seems to like best (very realistic and fine-line detailed: Quitely, Jiminez, Yoewell, JGJones — not my fave style, though these guys are great-great, but GM seems to gravitate to them vs. someone like Philip Bond, who I think is perfect for his style).

BUT BUT BUT THIS LINE: “…younger, brasher and more brooding, this is Superman.”

o__0 WHUT THE FFF?!? Damn that’s so bad is goes from being lame to funny and all the way to embarrasing. Is this our new “Faster than a speeding bullet…” Hey kids – comics! No, don’t turn away — they’re BROOOODING.

Le sigh

(I know that’s not GeorgeMicheal behind that one)

hey TAICHARA – do you really think giving Lois a different relationship is in order to deny her and Clark / Kal the chance to ever hook up? Do you really think DC / Morrisey want to eliminate the Lois/Supes sexual tension dynamic?

Or could it be that giving her an existing relationship just sharpens that aspect of the plot? Makes it more difficult for the characters, more interesting for us?

Hmm, I wonder (sarcasm, obviously, but I will accept and do have my doubts when didio gets in the pic, but this seems pretty clearly a way to strengthen the love-story dynamic)

CITIZEN CLIFF you say DC acts like they’re embarrased on Supe’s history? Beyond the admittedly awful awful marketing hype and buzz-phrases (yes even and especially Granted’s “Brucer-hero” thing, this take is ALL ABOUT Supe’s earliest history.

Hell, I just hope he keeps some of Seigel’s tough-talkin’ 30′s-he-man dialogue-style (unlikely, but that’s just an awesome way for a hero to talk)

This has to be the handwringing-est thread I’ve ever read. People, it’s the first issue of a new take on the early years of Superman. It doesn’t compare to the Jim Lee Wonder Woman costume debacle, because with that costume, DC clearly had in mind to “fix” the problems with Diana’s original outfit and held out hopes that the changes would stick. Here, it’s already known that the changes do not stick, and that Superman ends up wearing a close variation on his classic red and blues. Do you really think Superman will be fighting crime in his jeans for years and years? Use your heads.

Also, whether the first cover is more “iconic” or not, this cover suits DC’s stated purpose a hundred times better than the original image. DC wants new readers to get into their characters. Which do you think a new reader is more likely to pick off the shelf? A comic called “Action Comics” (NOT “Superman”) with a shadowy figure in an S shirt, or a comic with Superman clearly and prominently displayed on the cover?

Ahhh . . . the dulcet tones of panicky nerd rage.

Looks fine to me, as covers go. A nicely rendered illustration that gives a sense of what the story is actually about. Sure, you can say the other image was more “iconic” (if you’re the type of person who likes to throw the word iconic around without real regard for its applicability). But it was also generic and not very informative. Granted, that’s true of a lot of comic book covers, but there’s no rule that says it has to be, is there? (And this should stamp out the speculation that the armored-looking new costume was designed to cover the loss of his invulnerability as a result of the lawsuit.)

I can’t really ever remember being this excited about anything before. And I’ve had 20 Christmases.

the only thing funnier than this costume is hearing people’s lame/impotent attempts at defending it

I hope this new Supes gets the mob boss’ girlfriend to spill the beans by spanking her. Now that’s Silver Age goodness!

It tickles!

I’m not a Morrison worshipper, although I do consider him one of the more talented superhero writers out there (not a great feat, I know). His All-Star Superman is, of course, the best Superman story since Moore’s Supreme. So he has gained some credibility with the character, I think. I’ll check Action Comics out for that reason.

However, the whole “more Kal-El from Krypton than Clark Kent from Kansas” is something that I always felt was rather misguided (as was having the Kents dead). My take on Superman is that it’s precisely him growing up as a human (and his *living* connection to his parents) that made (makes) him the person he is, not to mention actually relatable. I think that his connection to Krypton ought to (for the most part…at least on a defining level) start and end with the rocket. I believe this is one thing that Byrne got exactly right. Chris Sims put it really well when discussing the best Superman origin stories: focusing on Superman’s relationship with Jor-El misses the whole point. The link (worth reading):

The obvious contradiction in the description: this is a solitary Kal-El from Krypton, not Clark, whose Earth parents are dead, loving and fighting for the common man in an almost god-like manner. Except that it’s because he grew up among humans and was raised by a loving, caring couple that he would feel strongly enough to do so in the first place (and keep a secret identity, at that). By shoving that aspect of his story aside in order to focus on the “lone Kryptonian” thing they miss the big picture and origin of what they intend to celebrate about the character.

So yeah, just from the description it sounds like a story that starts by hitting all the wrong notes about Superman. I’m definitely not as optimistic as I was before. We’ll see if Morrison can make it work.

I didn’t think that this was actually going to be a costume when I saw the first cover, I thought maybe he just wore regular clothes and the logo was just a metaphysical symbol of the hero that we all know he is going ot be (even if the concealing shadow and eyelasers make him look somewhat sinister), If they wanted a more down-to-Earth costume/look, then they should have just gone with an open plaid shirt exposing his other shirt with the S-Sheild instead of an actual cape. I just find it off-putting for Superman to be ripping-off Suberboy’s outfit.

Besides being yet another horrible costume design, this is a horrible cover. Bullet trajectory lines make NO sense (I’m firing from behind you, but it’s going to hit you in the front of the leg?). And why would MCPD be firing at an unarmed man in the back in the middle of an uncordonned-off public street? Plus, this Superman can easily jump out of range of thie bullets (on top of a building or several blocks away) why would he endanger innocent civilians by leading trigger-happy police through a highly populated area with bullets bouncing off his skin?
But then, why is he broody? We already have a Batman. Is it that he’s in love with Lois but she’s in love with somebody else (Lex Luthor?)? As much as I don’t want to read another origin story (with great power comes great responsibility; your parents were gunned down in an alley; you’re the “last” child of a dying planet; we GET it, stick it in the recap blurbs and MOVE ON!) I don’t want them to sacrifice these truly great origins in a retcon. I want Ma and Pa Kent. I want a farmboy with a conscience and good manners to arrive in the big city and maintain his core values. It would make sense to re-examine the Daily Planet and his financial situation, but it would have been nice in “Superman” that he and Lois were still married.

I’m pretty skeptical, especially considering how bad Superman comics have been the last two or three years, not to mention Final Crisis, but I DID like Morrison’s All-Star Superman, so I’ll give these titles an honest try. Right now, however, they don’t really sound like anything I’d want to read.

They managed to take the ‘man’ out of Superman.

Well done, DC.

Maybe this isn’t the place to put this, but does anyone know about this? http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=20560 Apparently DC is releasing a massive omnibus in December collecting all 52 issues, retailing for $150. Pretty interesting stuff. 1200 pages.

“They managed to take the ‘man’ out of Superman.”

actually they seem to be trying to put it back into a character that has lost that attribute. what we have had for years now is a doubter. an indecisive, pining for lois puppy dog. no sense of humor. no strong opinions without an apology. a hand wringer. a one tear rolling down his cheek type of shell.

This deal is getting worse all the time.

So …. going back to the roots.. retelling what was done 70 years ago … even with a twist, that wont have the same feeling

If i wanna read original , street level supes stories.. i can read the Archives, they will always feel fresher.

Morrison did some good things with Zenith, DP, A-man.. some others afterwards….

but he should stop his acid trips, and loose the 70′s fanboy attitude that knows better and can do better than
the actual writers.

Marvel did have a successful relaunch of their main Heroes with the Ultimate universe , but take a look at it today , is it still alive ??

and doesnt Earth one already does what they want to do with that relaunch ?

What’s sad is Morrison managed to get the whole origin across in eight words in All-Star. Eight words. To my mind, the DCU’s characters main strengths are their iconic nature. All of this stuff about laying it out for new readers is rubbish. If you can’t get the gist of who Superman, or the Flash, or Batman is to the reader in three sentences or less, you’re not doing it properly.

Also, street level Superman, operating with T-Shirt and jeans? Cool. Like it a lot. Adding that little cape just looks stupid. It’s the underoos I had as a kid. And even at five, I was pissed because the cape didn’t fall lower than my waist.

1938 Superman in the 21st century, Grant Morrison writing it. I’m sold.
Supes is my favorite character, and I grew up on Silver-Age comics before the first Crisis.
In 1986 we got a new variation of Superman, it was interesting for sometime. But once the wrong talent got behind the character he literally died.
Doing Superman on a lower level of power makes him more fascinating in this day and age.
And seeing his evolution done by a talent such as Morrison has me very interested in seeing how it develops.
Cudos Rags for his usually stellar art, but he does look a little like Captain Marvel. LOL.

I’m sorry but did i read that correctly, the first story line in action comics is going to be about Superman clothes…really. come on people stop drinking the cool-aid, Grant can’t possibly sell you a story like that and get you to buy it. Its like “hey guys I’m writing a story about a wardrobe change” REALLY can his pants really mean that much to him!?! oh i see they are special kryptonian pants….here take my money and kick me in the balls while you are at it. Jeez.

Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

“I’m sorry, but I guess I can’t stand living in a world where Ma and Pa Kent are not around.”

Holy Moley it’s only a comic book. Try it, and if you don’t like it, drop it and read one of the zillion other comic books out there. It’s only meant to be escapist fun.

(And pre-Byrne there were tons of very enjoyable Superman stories without Ma and Pa Kent being around, or without Superman being married. The defining years of the character in fact.)

“So Action Comics and Superman are going to be set in different eras? I confused.”

action comics, atleast at first, is going to be about superman’s early years. the superman title will be about his…”current” adventures.

I’m still shocked at all of the whiners hating on something they haven’t read. If costumes are what’s focused on the fanbase itself needs a reboot.

The people accusing Morrison of drug induced ramblings are just as bad. As if you know the man.

Action will be a leading candidate for best comic of 2012. None of this immature complaining will change that.

Now Superman is wearing blue jeans, and a T-shirt?!?… uh…….wasn’t it bad enough with just Superboy.