"Rowdy" Roddy Piper Reported Dead at 61
The San Diego Comic-Con kicks off with a preview night on July 20, then runs July 21-24. If you are a comics creator or publisher, and you’re planning to bring something new to the con — a sketchbook, a print, a graphic novel debut, anything! — then we want to hear from you. Drop me an email (before Wednesday!) and let me know if you’ll have something cool on hand that attendees should know about. Feel free to send any artwork as well.
In addition to the portfolio of DC relaunch covers I mentioned this past week, Graphitti Designs will also sell a variant cover edition of Flashpoint #1 at their booth during the show.
The crew from the humor anthology Devastator will be at booth L-05 in the Small Press Pavilion, where they’ll have their newest cat-themed issue. They’ll also have several of their contributors at the booth signing:
We’ve got some awesome stuff going on for our first year exhibiting in SDCC, including the most fun indie signings in Small Press. Meet some of our favorite headlining contributors, only at Comic-Con!
Thursday, July 21 @ 3 pm: Jon Schnepp
(Metalocalypse, Aqua Teen Hunger Force)
Friday, July 22 @ 3 pm: Jeffrey Brown
(Ignatz award-winning author of Clumsy, Funny Misshapen Body, Incredible Change Bots)
Saturday, July 23 @ 3 pm: James Urbaniak
(The Venture Bros., American Splendor)
Sunday, July 24 @ 3 pm: Becky Dreistadt
(Tiny Kitten Teeth, Tigerbuttah)
Radical Comics will have variant covers, art prints and more:
In addition to the usual fare, Radical will be offering a selection of exclusives at this year’s SDCC. These special, limited edition items will include:
• Damaged #1, Leonardo Manco Painted Cover Variant
(Limited to 250 copies, only 50 available per day)
• The Last Days of American Crime SDCC Sketch Cover
(Limited to 500 copies, only 100 available per day)
• Damaged #1 Sketch Cover, SDCC Limited Edition
• Damaged #1 Virgin Cover with original sketch by Leonardo Manco
• Driver for the Dead, Time Bomb and The Last Days of American Crime trade paperbacks with mini SDCC-lithographs
• Hotwire Signed Hardcover
• Limited edition art print lithographs
• And more!
Only a set number of the first two exclusives will be available each day at Radical’s booth, #3735, so plan accordingly— when they’re gone, they’re gone!
I listed Arcana’s exclusives a few days ago, and it looks like they’ve added another one — Becoming by Brook Burgess:
Here’s more info, from Arcana:
Brook Burgess, creator of the animated epic, Broken Saints, is releasing his debut Arcana comic at San Diego Comic Con, starting on Wednesday, July 20th, where he will appear throughout the week alongside the artist of Becoming, Dane Cypel. Please refer to the updated signing schedule below for the latest signings.
Of his decision to work with Arcana, Brooke explains, “I was approached by Sean back in 2004, after finishing the original Flash motion comic Broken Saints and producing the 4-disc DVD upgrade of the series with Telefilm Canada. I had no idea there was such a prolific independent comic publisher in Canada, and was impressed with his savvy in developing original IP and packaging concepts for TV, film, and other media.”
At SDCC 2005, Brooke signed a deal with “20th Century Fox to distribute Broken Saints worldwide, which was an amazing opportunity. It was launched the following year in San Diego, and Sean was one of the first to swing by and offer congratulations and support! Arcana was growing by leaps and bounds by then, and I knew he had several feature films in development. I wanted to start writing a new story asap, but some other motion comic projects – Will Smith’s I Am Legend, and Guillermo Del Toro’s Hellboy – owned my life for the next year+.”
The Hero Initiative, the charitable organization dedicated to helping veteran comic creators in medical or financial need, is rolling into Comic-Con International: San Diego in a BIG way.
Hero will be at booth #5003 at the San Diego Con, July 20-24 at the San Diego Convention Center with a variety of great activities for attendees.
• Hero’s exclusive hardcover edition of the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide #41 will make its world premiere at San Diego! The limited edition of only 500 copies, with great and exclusive new art by comics legend John Romita, Sr., will be available at $35 a copy. Last year’s exclusive Guides FLEW out the door, so get to booth #5003 QUICKLY!
• San Diego is also the world premiere for Hero Comics 2011 from IDW Publishing and comics’ most beloved editor, Scott Dunbier. The new fundraising book features 32 pages of all-new material, including an exclusive “Elephantmen” story by Richard Starkings and Dougie Braithwaite, and a NEW “Chew” story from John Layman and Rob Guillory. But MOST importantly, Hero Comics reunites the original “Sandman” creative team of Neil Gaiman, Mike Dringenberg and Sam Kieth for “My Last Landlady,” their first collaboration in more than 20 years! Hero Comics 2011 is available with covers by J. Scott Campbell or Adam Hughes at a mere $4. A small amount of Campbell sketch variants will be available for $8 each.
• Hero is your EXCLUSIVE conduit to get your books submitted under CGC’s prestigious Signature Series when signed by Dave Gibbons or Joe Quesada! See CGC’s Website or drop off at the CGC booth at San Diego NO later than Friday, July 22 to take advantage of this special, limited offer!
• Hero’s famous “fantasy camp” eBay auctions can get you private time with Joe Quesada, a sketch from Dave Gibbons, or secrets from the Fables team of Bill Willingham and Mark Buckingham, all aboard Hero’s luxury yacht with some great food and drink, besides! Check out Hero’s eBay auctions to bid NOW!
• And of course, no convention is complete without a bountiful bevy of talented writers and artists parked at the Hero booth to sign autographs and do sketches. Check out your faves at these times:
WED., JUL 20 (con hours 530-900)
600-900: Scott “Kaiser” Koblish
THUR., JUL 21 (con hours 900-700)
930-1030: Bill Morrison
1030-1130: Jamal Igle
1130-130: Mark Buckingham
130-330: Albert Morales and Victor Olazaba
330-530: Tim Seeley
530-630: Roy Thomas
FRI., JUL 22 (con hours 900-700)
930-1130: Dan Jurgens
1130-1230: Jimmy Palmiotti
1230-130: Sage Michael
130-330: Tony Parker
330-430: Andy Smith
430-530: Frank Tieri
530-700: Kevin Eastman
SAT., JUL 23 (con hours 900-700)
1000-1100: Albert Morales and Victor Olazaba
1130-100: Kevin Eastman
200-330: Greg Pak
330-430: Andy Smith
430-530: Marv Wolfman
530-700: Ken Lashley
SUN., JUL 24 (con hours 900-500)
1000-1130: Alan Davis
1130-130: Albert Morales and Victor Olazaba
130-230: Sage Michael
330-430: Walt and Louise Simonson