Nominees announced for Spike TV’s 2011 Scream Awards
Spike TV has unveiled the nominees for the sixth annual Scream Awards, which honor the best is science fiction, fantasy, horror and comic books. This year’s nominees were selected by an advisory board that includes Neil Gaiman, Wes Craven, Tim Burton, Damon Lindelof, George A. Romero, Robert Rodriguez and Rob Zombie.
The Scream Awards will be taped Oct. 15 in Los Angeles and broadcast Oct. 18 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on Spike.
Here are the nominees in the three comics-specific categories:
Best comic book or graphic novel
• American Vampire, by Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque (Vertigo)
• Chew, by John Layman and Rob Guillory (Image Comics)
• Daytripper, by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba (Vertigo)
• Locke & Key, by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriquez (IDW Publishing)
• The Walking Dead, by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard (Image Comics)
Best comic book writer
• Ed Brubaker (Captain America, Captain America: Reborn, The Marvels Project, Steve Rogers: Super Soldier)
• Joe Hill (Locke & Key, The Cape)
• Robert Kirkman (The Astounding Wolf-Man, Haunt, Invincible, The Walking Dead)
• Grant Morrison (Batman Incorporated, Joe the Barbarian)
• Mike Mignola (Baltimore, The Amazing Screw-On Head)
Best comic book artist
• Charlie Adlard (The Walking Dead)
• Mark Buckingham (Fables)
• Duncan Fegredo (Hellboy)
• John Romita Jr. (The Avengers, Kick-Ass)
• Bernie Wrightson (Doc Macabre)
Also worth noting are nods in other categories for comic-book adaptations Captain America: The First Avenger, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, RED, Thor, The Walking Dead and X-Men: First Class. A full list of nominees is available on the Scream Awards website, where fans are encouraged to vote often.