Robot 6

Quote of the day | Hey, kids! Comics!

Reading Robo

There are several cool quotes in this post by Atomic Robo writer Brian Clevinger, especially in the letter from a mom whose 6-year-old son is now reading at a fifth-grade level thanks entirely to his love of comics, specifically Atomic Robo and other Red 5 comics. In fact, he loves them so much that he took an issue of Atomic Robo to school to read to his classmates. You can see whether they loved it from the photo.

The part that really got my attention, though, is in Clevinger’s comments at the end:

I would just like to point out that Volume 6, Atomic Robo and the Ghost of Station X, is the darkest story we’ve told. Yet it’s still appropriate for children.

It’s no secret there are still comics that are appropriate for kids. Marvel and DC are even making a couple themselves. But after a week or so of focusing on the comics that aren’t appropriate for children, it’s refreshing to see a story about one that’s not only kid-friendly, but as Clevinger points out, “universally praised by adults” as well.

News From Our Partners

Comments

8 Comments

Atomic Robo rocks.

Ditto. Great pic, great story.

Careful with that “universally” word. It’s true, it gets much praise, and deservedly so. Just sayin’.

I have ten nieces & nephews, between the ages of 3-13, and several of them have taken to the age-appropriate piles of comics I bring (or mail) to them.

They especially enjoy: the two Batman The Brave & The Bold cartoon titles, the Shanower & Young “Oz” adaptations from Marvel, Jeff Smith’s Bone, and Robinson & Smith’s “Leave it to Chance”. Also: DC’s Scooby Doo, the various Muppet Show books from BOOM!, Marvel’s Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius, and various Disney comics (both old and new) from across the decades.

Adults doing the footwork for their young relatives is a lot better than grousing about the titles that “should be” age-appropriate. Solutions please, not complaints from the oversoft couch!

And as an aside, when I was a kid I devoured all kinds of books (from Richie Rich to Archie to DC & Marvel superheroes up through all of the war and horror books of the 60s and 70s) without being scarred for life or having my parents pull out their hair because some of them were too mature. Sure things are different now, but if one can’t find suitable comics on today’s new issue racks, then just go to a yard sale or flea market and grab a cheap stack of old comics from someone else’s attic or basement – it was fine for me, and an added bonus for me was trying to fill in the missing issues on my own.

Hopefully this didn’t come across as snarky or offensive. I just find it hard to sit silent when I figured out the simple solutions (and put them forth) while so many others seem to have such a hard time with getting young people into comics

Why is everyone griping about the sex in 5% of the New 52, and not the violence in the other 95%? How is one less appropriate for children than the other?

@ Josh…
If you remove violence from comics what kind of book would you have? What would be the source of the conflict for the protagonist? Would you rather see superman save people from a hurricane? Would you like to see Batman pull a pet cat out of a tree? What is Green Arrow supposed to do with his arrows if he doesn’t shoot them at someone?
Please enlighten this comic collector/reader of 23 years.

Atomic Robo is the best comic you’re not buying.

Seriously go buy it and have some FUN!

Leave a Comment

 



Browse the Robot 6 Archives