Here’s what the new Shazam! looks like

Shazam!

The character formerly known as Captain Marvel will make his debut in Justice League #7, but you can take a look at him right now thanks to DC Comics and the New York Post.

Created in 1939 by artist C. C. Beck and writer Bill Parker, the New 52 version of Billy Batson’s alter-ego will run as back-up tale in Justice League by writer Geoff Johns and artist Gary Frank. According to Johns, the character will “be far more rooted in fantasy and magic than it ever was before.” Hence the cloak.

“With SHAZAM! Gary and I will be focusing on the magic hero instead of the super hero,” Johns told DC’s The Source blog. “For centuries, science has ruled the world, but now magic is returning. We’re telling the story of the hero’s young alter ego, Billy Batson, a foster kid at a crossroads in his life. The question is, how does the emotional journey of this troubled teenager collide with the fate of the world? The Rock of Eternity and the legacy of SHAZAM! will be explored in a different way as the extent of Billy’s connection to the magic world around him is greater than ever before. The story will have a profound impact on Justice League later in the year and you’ll see new characters, locations and creatures along with the classics from the SHAZAM! universe. Billy’s friends and enemies will be along for the ride.”

Comments

Herb Clerecidge

March 5, 2012 at 7:44 am

RIP, Captain Marvel.

Dr. Bloodmoney

March 5, 2012 at 7:48 am

Yeah, this has longevity written all over it.

Nothing is absolute; he won’t be running the DCU forever, but sometimes, Oh God, the Geoff Mile is so long.

Marvel Comics’ Warlock should sue for copyright infringement.

This saddens me to no end.

Looks cool! Cant wait to see it. Shazam is a cool character and i think Geoff will do the character justice.

YIKES. Okay, I guess I’ll check out Shazam when he’s re-rebooted in 3-5 years then…

He look like a cross between Milestone’s Static and Icon.

Words fail.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I personally like the idea of not letting potential new fans of the character get confused and like the cloak.

Don’t mind the refocus again, and if there was any time to dump the name Captain Marvel (not that I’d like to – but DC screwed up years ago and might as well admit it and move on), now is the time with the new 52.

That being said – SHAZAM! is a silly name. Captain Thunder would be the only other alternative I can think of that is still historical.

Huh, I wonder what Black Adam will wear now. Since Cap/Shazam won’t be “The Big Red Cheese” anymore can we call him “Black Lightning” now? I’m guessing the name is available again.

Jake Earlewine

March 5, 2012 at 8:37 am

This is pitiful.

DC has some weird psychological disease. They’re unable to work their old characters in the form they were created, unwilling to let them die, and unable to invent new characters. They just keep recycling old characters in different packaging.

This Shazam variant is so different from Captain Marvel, one has to ask “why bother?”

DC is sick.

Way to completely miss the point of the character DC.

Wow, you guys all sound like bitter assholes

Simon DelMonte

March 5, 2012 at 8:52 am

Given the number of times Geoff has done relaunches right – JSA, GL, Aquaman – I say, give a chance. No one else has had much a clue of what to do with Billy and the Captain for a long while, and as much as I liked the Ordway series, it was relentlessly old-fashioned. (And I, almost alone in this opinion, though that Jeff Smith didn’t get the character either.)

This just feels a little like when Dr. Fate was rebooted as “Fate” and was an “edgy” anti-hero with a knife.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea, but whenever DC tries to be “edgy” it just reminds me of the Pat Boone heavy metal “covers.” It’s like someone’s uncle trying to rap.

And correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the focus often on the magical aspect of Captain Marvel? This is just doing the same thing but treating it like something new. Which isn’t unusual, either. I wish them luck, since the character has had a tough time lately.

Pathetic.

Also, I think giving him a different appearance from Superman and the other powerhouses of the DCU is a good idea.

Are the 90s over yet?

— MrJM

It looks like a gust of wind came up behind him and flipped his cape over his head

That’s Shazam? I thought that picture was The Flash because of that lighting bolt on his chest and the red costume.

Who the hell is this Captain Marvel guy?

I Heart Catman

March 5, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Anyone else feel that Geoff John’s writing and creative decisions have taken a dive since he’s been promoted?

Green Lantern is pretty good, and most of Aquaman (save for the constant meta-references to the character being lame), but most of everything else is pretty ho-hum. Even his Flash run wasn’t as great as past stuff.

Can’t he bench himself for awhile and let his creative batteries re-charge?

Superboy Prime was right. :)

RegularSyzedMike

March 5, 2012 at 2:20 pm

“It’s like someone’s uncle trying to rap.” That is CLASSIC and should be DC’s tagline!

Jake Earlewine

March 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm

DC has never understood that Captain Marvel was created for a much younger audience.

They’ve always had this fixation on trying to squeeze him into the same universe as their other super-heroes instead of letting him thrive as a unique character with a different audience.

I’d love to see waid and ross take a shot at a capt. marvel/shazam series.

el_caifan

“I’d love to see waid and ross take a shot at a capt. marvel/shazam series.”

A limited series, maybe. Alex Ross isn’t doing a monthly book.

@el_caifan
Well, Ross did do some concept sketches of a proposed Captain Marvel series. It eventually became “The Trials of Shazam”. You can see them in that art of Alex Ross book that came out a while ago.

It’s a red costume with golden boots, belt, and wristguards. Still has a white cape with gold trim but now a hood. And instead of him smiling like a big fucking idiot people are pissed because he’s grimacing like… i dunno… maybe the transformation is a little painful. And people are complaining? This is why fanboys don’t/ can’t write comics at all – they’re all fucking clueless.

Captain Marvel hasn’t sold well for over thirty years. He’s, ironically, largely known as a Superman knockoff anyway by most people. He needs to either a) to be chucked away, or b) differentiated from Superman to the extent that he’s his own character or c) stay the same, but remain a mediocre character that everyone has fond memories of, BUT DON’T BUY HIS BOOK. You guys do the math.

And it makes sense NOT to call him Captain Marvel. The same reason Marvel doesn’t have a character called Captain DC.

Whenever I see either Marvel or DC take a character and totally bastardize it. Whenever they write and draw the character totally off-model and out of character I have to ask the same question.

If DC wanted to have a hooded, grim and gritty lightning shooting character in their books…

CREATE A NEW CHARACTER!!!

You know, use your imagination talents to create something new and….

Ah hell, who am I kidding. Marvel & Dc haven’t come up with a NEW long lasting character since…. hell, the 1960’s. Why should I expect them to do that now?

The “New Shazam” SUCKS!!!!