Axel-In-Charge: Facing the 'Divided' Marvel NOW! Future
Although Comic-Con International’s yearly WonderCon show usually likes to spend its springtime in scenic San Francisco, this year it’s taking a road trip down south to spend some time in the happiest place on Earth … or right next to it, anyway. WonderCon runs this weekend, March 16-18, at the Anaheim (Calif.) Convention Center.
Special guests at this year’s show include Arthur Adams, Renae De Liz, Mark Evanier, Michael Golden, Joe Hill, Rebekah Isaacs, Carol Lay, Jim Lee, Mike Mignola, Todd Nauck, Steve Niles, Eric Powell, Humberto Ramos, Bob Schreck, Scott Snyder, Ryan Sook, Fiona Staples, Richard Starkings, J. Michael Straczynski, Mark Waid and Marv Wolfman. On the media side, the con will welcome Emma Stone, Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, Jorge Garcia, Joshua Jackson and John Noble, among many others. No Mickey Mouse, but Disney is offering special deals on tickets to the park for WonderCon attendees.
You can find the complete programming schedule on the CCI site, and here’s a round-up of various things you can do, buy and expect to find out about at the show …
• DC’s Ian Sattler will be at the show as the company sets up in booth #501, with plenty of special guests and panels.
• IDW will have an exclusive variant of the Wally Wood’s EC Stories Artist’s Edition and a special edition of John Romita’s Amazing Spider-Man Artist’s Edition signed by Romita and Stan Lee, and including a sketch by Romita. They’ll also have announcements, including one involving the Rocketeer. You can find all the details on their plans here.
• Archaia will have several announcements at the show, if the promotional posters CBR debuted this week are any indication.
• Image Comics won’t have a booth at WonderCon–no doubt their con elves are worn out from the Image Expo–but many of their creators will be there. Don’t forget to look for Ted McKeever if you’re interested in the Mondo poster we debuted earlier this week.
• The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund will have member appreciation rewards at the show, artists at their booth and more.
• The first 5,000 WonderCon attendees to visit the comiXology’s booth (#107) will receive a limited edition promotional postcard imprinted with a unique download code redeemable for The Walking Dead Vol. 1 on comiXology.com.
• The Hero Initiative will have Joseph Michael Linsner, Marv Wolfman. Christian Gossett, Mark Waid, Mike McKone and Scott Koblish at their booth throughout the weekend.
• Aspen will have several convention exclusives at the show, including Fathom: Kiani #0 WonderCon 2012 edition.
• VIZ Media will treat attendees to special “test drives” of their new Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha digital manga magazine. Drop by the VIZ Media booth, sample the new digital content, and complete a special survey to be entered to win a new Apple iPad 2.
• Superman vs. The Elite, the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie, will receive its world premiere the Friday of the show.