DC Comics summons He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #1

DC Comics will return to Eternia in July with a six-issue He-Man and the Masters of the Universe limited series by James Robinson, Phillip Tan and Ruy Jose, MTV Geek reports.

Although several companies, from Marvel to Image to CrossGen, have released comics based on the Mattel toyline, DC was the first, introducing Superman to He-Man, Battle Cat, Skeletor and other characters in July 1982′s DC Comics Presents #47, followed by Masters of the Universe inserts in more than a dozen titles and, later that year, a three-issue miniseries.

In the new series, Skeletor has discovered a way to reshape reality, making himself ruler of Castle Grayskull while leaving the  heroes of Eternia as peasants with no memories of their former lives. As for Prince Adam, the alter-ego of He-Man? He’s a woodsman who thinks his visions of wielding a sword in battle are merely dreams.

“Adam is in a place where he really has to reconnect with what it means to be a Master of the Universe,” Robinson tells MTV Geek. “It’s his odyssey, much like the Greek myth in fact, that is the backbone of this series.”

Comments

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t wait for this!

Seriously? Leave the toy crap to Marvel.

Different Dave

April 6, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Was ready to put on my pretentious comics-art-snob hat, but the plot actually sounds totally awesome :) looks like im going to get me some He-Man comics :)

Simon DelMonte

April 6, 2012 at 3:49 pm

That is some serious talent for a tie-in. Can we hope for something as great as Joe Kelly’s Space Ghost miniseries?

AWESOME! Been hoping for something like this for years! :D

HOLY CRAP!!!! Not only does the plot actually sound cool but that promo art is awesome and with a top writer like Robinson this may actually be worth picking up too bad they couldnt get Alex Ross on covers

The Third Dave

April 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Seems kind of fun actually. Not much of a He-man fan but the concept is sound.

Best news I’ve heard whole week.

PretenderNX01

April 7, 2012 at 4:52 am

It’s He-Man, of course I’m buying it.

The plot for this is pretty much the same thing Wildstorm did with the Thundercats. Not very original and not stoked about that. Hope they do it better, love me some He-Man!

Normally I wouldn’t be interested, but with Robinson and Tan, I’ll be buying it.

This is incredible news! MOTU is a brilliant property to begin with and the premise for the comic sounds amazing. I love the new action figures that Mattel has been producing for MOTU. I get those each month and will be getting the comics starting in July as well. Can’t wait!

I didn’t care for Robinson’s JLA work or Tan’s Outsiders work, so this is a wait and see.

I just hope they bring some of the mythology from the minicomics that came with the action figures (which featured work by comic book legends such as Bruce Timm and Alfredo Alcala).

For instance:

“He-Man” is the title for the hero tasked with protecting Castle Grayskull with the Power Sword (also known as the Sword of He, after the primordial mage He-Ro). Prince Adam is merely the latest in the line (and the first to fully tap into the Power of Grayskull).

interested

Judfe Fred MANSON

April 7, 2012 at 8:16 am

I am feeling young anew!!!!!! Totally awesome news!!!!!!!!!
Already listed on my pull list!!!!

2011: DC Comics rocks the shelves with the DC New 52!!!!
Mid-2012: DC Comics rocks the shelves with the Before Watchmen!!! (that you like or not)
Mid-2012: DC Comics rocks the shelves with He-Man!!!
Mid-2012: DC Comics rocks the shelves with the new Vertigo imprint!!!! (my wish…)

Be DC Comics!!!!! …or n.o.t.h.i.n.g.!!! Understood????

Why are they still giving James Robinson work? He’s a hack at the level of Chuck Austen or Judd Winnick. Jeezus. His JLA was an unreadable mess, and all his contributions to Superman and New Krypton have been godawful. Also, his Starman has aged about as well as the Backstreet Boys.

The MOTU were a big part of my childhood. And recently I spend more and more time to re-connect with that time again.

Unfortunately it´s not easy to get the old Comics from He-Man in Germany (or they are ridiculously expensiv).

So this is the perfect announcement at the perfect time.

The first DC Comic I´m going to buy in years.

“Understood????”

Only that you need to lay off the Red Bull. Wow.

Except it’s the exact opposite of The Odyssey which was about a warrior whose long voyage was to teach him humility and to prize the world of family and home over glory and battle. This is more of an Arthurian myth.

Oh boy, DC planning to ruin another origin story?

I also thought ruining TNMT, Transformers, GI Joe and other saturday morning cartoons from my childhood was IDW’s job!

Bicycle-Repairman

April 7, 2012 at 11:41 am

I think it would be interesting if a new “Masters of the Universe” series went back to its roots, using ideas from the mini-comics included with the early toys instead of the animated series.

In the early mini-comics Eternia was a world where civilization had collapsed following the Great Wars. He-Man was a barbarian who left his jungle-dwelling tribe to fight evil. He-Man met a Sorceress/Goddess who gave him ancient technology, including a costume that granted him super-human strength and generated a protective force field. Skeletor was an interdimensional being who came to Eternia after the Great Wars opened a portal to his home dimension. Skeletor sought to reunite the two halves of the Power Sword so he could reopen the portal to his dimension and allow his race to invade Eternia. The two halves of the Power Sword were also needed to open the jaw-bridge to Castle Grayskull. It was prophesied that the true King of Castle Grayskull would one day claim its throne and the secrets of the universe.

The Filmation series made changes to the story to make it more kid-friendly. The post-apocalyptic Eternia of the comics was replaced by King Randor and Queen Marlena’s enlightened kingdom. He-Man and Battle Cat gained the respective alter egos of Prince Adam and Cringer and He-Man’s sword became the source of their powers. Orko was introduced to serve as comic relief.

Maybe we can finally get that long overdue He-Man/Thundercats crossover.

I never got into He-Man before, but… James Robinson? Well, well, well… :)

Bicycle Repairman:

The “jungle” He-Man is back in canon now, being one of the previous “He-Men” prior to Prince Adam’s rise to the title. He was actually the first He-Man to fight Skeletor. He never tapped into the Power of Grayskull, and instead used the korodite harness and bracers to increase his strength and resilience.

I remember DC had Masters Of The Universe a 3 issue mini-series. Marvel has a series that i think was under their Star imprint. And i forgot which company did the Movie adaptation. Never saw the allure of Masters or Thundercats.

talk about full circle motu started out at dc and now is back and this time kicking off where skelator gets his dream and is ruling things.going to definitly have to check this out.

Darth Eradicus

April 7, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Dial back the WayBack Machine! I remember getting the first MOTU toys with the minicomics, watching the cartoon following school on weekday afternoons, and even following the comics from Image to CrossGen. I even saw the Dolph Lungdren movie (not in theaters though).

I’m definitely down for this revival back at DC…

Toy crap? Get out of here. This is AWESOME!!!

Quite simply, your post is dumb. Robinson’s “the Shade” is one of the smartest, most entertaining series DC is producing. Dont fault him for his editorial- hamstrung JLA. No one could have made a silk purse of that, at that time.

Philip Tan will butcher this!

For those of you who dont know, there was a MOTU tie-from DC back when show started.
There was even a supplement in the monthly books back in 1982.
It involved Superman, Curt Swan drew it, and Dave Hunt inked, if I remember correctly.
One of the toy comics was draw by Mark Texeira drew it.

Didio will ruin this just as he’s ruining everything else. No thanks. Memories are better. :)

Well this is… unexpected.

Will hip, middle-age Jim Lee redesign and update He-Man with kneepads and a V-neck collar?

This would be even better if it were a continuation of the 2002 cartoon.

“Understood????”

No, not at all.

Hell yes! About time He-Man returned to comics!

normally i’d be interested. but it’s written by james ‘cry for justice’ robinson.

i’ll just wait for the new toys.

Great. Now they can gratuitously grimdark He-Man the way they do everything else (including ThunderCats when they had that license). Cue rape storyline involving Teela or the Sorceress. BattleCat will probably eat people. Afterall, this is the company that gave us flesh-eating Wonder Dog..

Not saying I would want something that had all the restrictions of the Filmation cartoon, but I really do not trust Didio Comics with this even in the slightest.

Im excited to see my fave hero back on the printed page. (Not counting the dark horse mini comics that can only be purchased by getting em online with a $30 figure that I dont really want) Woo!

@X

Well said. I will but it, and I didn’t even like He-Man as much as GIJoe or Transformers.

Me excited.
Which earth anyway? Earth-80 :D ?

@Urdnot Wrex: How old are you exactly? I only ask this because if you were any kind of diehard He-Man fan you would not be saying that this new project would be better if it was based on the 2002 reboot. Bottom line? If this is any closer to the original source material I’m all for it. The reboot just left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Yes – I have waited ages for this!!

MOTU may seem cheesy to many, but there is a great sword and sorcery world at it’s heart, full of great potential still to be explored. And Tan on pencils?! If anyone suits this genre more than he, I want to know.

Let’s just hope it does well enough that James can do that ‘other’ arc he mentions in the interview. That point has needed to be elaborated on since day one.

Awesome stuff DC!

I have not seen anything saying whether this is being published as part of the DC Universe or on the Vertigo imprint. Any ideas on that? I think it’d be sweet if it were one of the 52 worlds of the multiveristy, although He-Man was not one of the supermen in Final Crisis. If it were on Vertigo that would pretty much preclude it being part of the DCU, as I understand the make up of the universe.

Speaking of old Marvel comic book tv adaptions, Where the hell is Alf?:)

I have one issue of the WIldstorm (I think) series and bought it because J. Scott Campbell did the whole cover and back.

Hanoverboxingclub

April 10, 2012 at 5:17 am

This is great news! The Masters of the Universe line has so many great characters to pull from. Cant wait for to see the awesome bad guy line up, Hordak, Merman, Stinkor, Modulok, Trap Jaw, and a walking skull faced barbarian. The mix of guns and swords. the hero is wearing fur pants and flying a jet, can’t wait. Im sure over time we might even see Merman vs Aqua Man.

finally some wonderful news, i hope this gets backed by the fans and we actually get a long unlimited series. I wouldn’t even mind if they rotated writers to tell different stories just to keep it fresh, i’m sure theres more than one he-man fan writer out there. Oh and to the jim lee bashing cmon on man really the guy just made justice league the king of all books right now and still no respect. All i can say is talk sjit if you can do better, throw your hat in and see where you can get the man is a legend dont hate.

Really awesome news!
I hope that it can focus on some basics about He-Man. The fight between good vs evil. No need to introduce Snake Men or Hordak at this point. Keep it to the basics.

Even if the comic will not be a good one I feel it’s great to have some new media about He-Man. If cartoon or movie is too far-off right now, a comic can go a long way for the fans. :)

I’m really excited about new Masters of the Universe comics, anything is better than nothing even if the story has changed up some. The only thing that guts me is that I really liked Emiliano Santalucia’s artwork on the Masters in the Image comics that came out in the early 2000s. And to be honest if the above picture is what the new artwork on He Man looks like, it really fails in comparison to Emiliano’s. Such a shame, but still wont stop me from buying them and reading them. Will always luv MotU

This is good news.

He-Man as a huntsman awakened to power by a divine Sorceress, with a terrible war in the not-so-distant past -it’s clearly a re-telling of the original minicomics story! No doubt about it.

Since 2002, minicomic fans all over the world have been asking for a minicomic-inspired re-telling of this story for TEN years, because we have always known it was the only salvation for the Masters/franchise. We’ve been quietly pushing this forward GLOBALLY, with ‘Miniternia’ fan fiction websites, online comics and other fan-created, and we’ve been really organized about getting Miniternia back in the bloodstream, He-fans are finally returning to ‘Masters’ darker origins.

And this comic shows Mattel is responding.