DC postpones release of Batman Incorporated #3 following shootings

In the wake of Friday’s shootings in Aurora, Colorado, DC Comics has delayed the release of Batman Incorporated #3, originally set to go on sale Wednesday, because the issue “contains content that may be perceived as insensitive in light of recent events.” It will instead be released Aug. 22.

In an email sent Monday to retailers, the publisher explained that, “Out of respect for the victims and families in Aurora, Colorado DC Entertainment has made the decision to postpone the release of BATMAN INCORPORATED #3 for one month because the comic contains content that may be perceived as insensitive in light of recent events. We request that retailers do not make this issue available as previously solicited.”

Artist Chris Burnham addressed the delay on Twitter, writing, “Batman Inc #3 is going to be delayed a month due to some grim imagery that would seem wholly inappropriate given the Aurora killings. The book printed on time. I’m looking at a copy on my desk right now. This isn’t a scheduling excuse, we’re trying to do the right thing. It’s not just a Batman comic with guns in it. There’s a specific scene that made DC & the whole Bat-team say ‘Yikes.’ Too close for comfort.”

Comic Book Resources has an exclusive preview of Batman Incorporated #3, which features the New 52 debut of Matches Malone, and finds Batman on the trail of who’s trying to kill Damian.

Comments

“I would say this was overreacting and had initially thought it was pulled because it’s a Batman book – which would be overreacting – but if there’s something specific in the issue, then I think DC are perfectly justified in doing this.”

In a world where Rush Limbaugh is causing a stir about a 19 year old comic book character by implying he was made intentionally to attack a presidential candidate now, there is no such thing as overreacting to potential bad press on something like this.

It sucks for fans of the book, but this is absolutely the right move if something even remotely similar happens in the comic. If this had gone to print and touched even a little close to home on it, DC would’ve been roasted in the press.

A good move on DC’s part.Waiting on a book for a extra month isnt gonna hurt anybody. Besides its Batman Inc,its not the first time its been late.

“I personally think it’s silly. Not many fans would have gotten the issue and said, “well, in light of recent events this shouldn’t have been published!” It’s like DC is taking the blame for something that’s really not their problem, and it bothers me greatly.”

It’s not “taking the blame,” it’s being sensitive to a national incident. It’s a delay of one month to not shove it in peoples’ faces.

This is the first Batman comic to hit the stands since the Aurora incident, it’s absolutely not in DC’s best interests to have people potentially coming in to stores to try Batman because of the new film and having their first experience involve an incident similar to the one that just happened in the theater.

We know as long term comic book fans that it’s just an unfortunate coincidence, but after the Limbaugh garbage, we know that’s not how the media thinks. It would come off as insensitive and in poor taste and it’s smart of DC to curtail that possibility by moving it.

“Understandable that they’d want to appear sensitive to recent events. I just hope that DC will not make any move to censor or alter any books. I think it would only act as an admission that fiction really does influence crazy behavior. Once start to work under that kind of mind set, it begins a slippery slope towards creators and editors second guessing every element of their stories – a catastrophic move in the long run.”

That’s not the case at all, it’s simply a move to avoid bad press and in an industry that’s floundering, you avoid bad press like the plague.

This isn’t exactly unprecedented. Sony had to entirely yank a Spider-Man teaser way back when because of the 9/11 attacks. One of the first trailers for the film had Spider-Man catching a helicopter between the WTC towers and it was yanked because of the 9/11 attacks.

on the business end of this… ill bet this book sells more than issue #2 because of the delay. now people will buy it to find out what made it indecent

Rollo Tomassi

July 24, 2012 at 7:42 am

They’re drawing more attention to the book by announcing it has “questionable” content and delaying its release. So next month, readers will be more inclined to pick up the book to see what all the fuss of delaying the book was about. It’s a skeevy marketing strategy from the minds of Nelson, Didio, Harras, Johns and Lee.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t, huh DC?

America seems to becoming an increasingly molly coddled, ailing leukemia victim of a country. Seriously, i can understand those directly affected being upset about this, but the rest of the country? Pull your heads out of your arses, people die senselessly (predominantly due to dick moves on the U.S’s behalf) across the world every day and not a moment’s thought is given to them. But the moment it happens on home soil? Everyone’s outraged. typical “out of sight, out of mind” mentality that’s fucked up so much of this planet.

Related to the comic, it notes this is the New 52 debut of Matches Malone. But I thought it was stipulated early on that Batman, Inc. takes places prior to the New 52. Am I misremembering here?

@Josh.
I agree, but with the media the way it is today, looking for anyway to make a headline, i think it was smart, to say the least, and out of respect that DC took the high road.
just my two cents.

I think DC Comics did the right thing, since they’re sad for what happened the last friday

Bullshit. So now we are blaming Batman for what happened at Aurora? Jesus F. Christ, stop America, please.

You have to hand it to DC that they managed to exploit a tragic event by making a public spectacle of not exploiting a tragic event.

They not overeacting they are just showing respect but for christ sakes its not batmans fault so dont go canceling crap thinking otherwise but theres gonna be fallback you watch and see after all the crap is done they will try and fallback and blaim media and dc for the shooting go figure right?

And ill add these crazy freaks who do these crimes are humans also and also have hobbies like comics and movies and games just so happens if they leave a comic out or a game or book or movie at their home after a crime its automatically blaimed on the hobbie hell if a my little pony comic was left out at his home mise well blame them too.

@Rollo Tomasi and Kenn: Why not give DC the benefit of the doubt?

Ridiculous.

“I am just wondering if WB corporate are going to tell DC editorial to tone down the violence and darkness of the Bat-books in general now.”

Oh if only. But the relentless purveying of gore and grimdark has been pretty much the hallmark of the Didio era regime. I wish DC would just do a horror line and get it out of their systems that way instead of turning their superhero line into Saw with capes.

seamus keane art

July 24, 2012 at 8:36 am

I just read this comic as I work in a comic book store and we received the comics yesterday. Theres nothing in the issue that I find in anyway questionable. Just DC playing it safe I guess.

@ Rockin69

really?
thats not whats happening at all.
they’re just saying that something in the book might be seen as insensitive (and the artist agrees) no one is saying what happened is due to Batman.

I find it interesting that the wording seems to imply that the issue may have already shipped out, and DC is just requesting the retailers not sell it yet. “We request that retailers do not make this issue available as previously solicited.”

I wouldn’t be surprised if we start seeing this issue for sale at jacked up prices well before next month, as the issue DC “didn’t want you to see” or something like that…

@Matthew

Unless the book shows a lunatic going into a movie theater and shooting everybody I cannot understand how this book could offend anyone.

I mean really…I understand people are freaking out but America is notorious for gun-toting crazy people like Holden. He’s not the first and won’t be the last. And sadly I don’t think theres anything to be done to prevent something like that from happening again. The guy had a mental problem, was a loner and apparently very smart, a deadly combination.

His own family should have noticed the signs and maybe worried about him more. Not saying it’s a parental failure but really, if his family couldn’t notice he was a little off then who would?

But I think the whole “being sensitive” thing is being incredibly blown out of proportion.

If we go about this like that, the next natural step would be to just ban the Joker forever from any sort of fiction, as apparently the character was Holden’s inspiration for doing this.

Reminds me of when Ellis’ Hellblazer story “Shoot” was pulled due to Columbine. Not a move I would do, but hey, I get the pragmatism behind it.

STUPIDEST DECISION EVER.

Yea, some jackass went pyscho in a theater. Maybe giving him tons of press coverage isn’t helping. Just live life as usual and don’t let the fact that it “may appear similiar to recent events” stop you. Fuck you DC man the hell up you pussies

@Rockin69: Ah, so you’re making a slippery-slope argument. Got it.

Give it a rest. Absolutely the right thing to do on DC’s part. This is being done out of respect for the families of the dead and injured. End of story. For all you people worried about censorship, there are actually times when you should show restraint, and even censor yourself. This is one of those times. Freedom involves choices. DC made the right one.

So I thought I was going to get my Inc. fix two days after I saw DKR, apparently not. They should release two issues next month. Though they proably won’t because who cares Grant’s run hasn’t suffered enough delays.

“STUPIDEST DECISION EVER.”

Then you’ve got a pretty poor grasp of both perspective and history.

can see dc deciding since the comic proably contains scenes that are a little to close to the Auro tragedy like maybe some one firing guns pulling the book for it puts them in a catch twenty other wise release it and get grief for doing it so soon after the shooting. but not release it and have dc accused by some of now censoring the bat books of violence due to the tragedy. or censoring the bat books from now on. dc did what they felt best with the issue which will still hit

Are we all supposed to NOT go see Dark Knight Rises then, out of respect for the families? Is this going to change anything at all?

Jebus, folks. It’s a comic book. That’s it. A comic book. And it’s not even canceled, just shipping later. Some of you are acting like this is a tragedy when there are about 12 families in Colorado who know what tragedy really is.

@Nik

I don’t care about the book being postponed, I just think everyone is being oversensitive about this. The only thing that would be unsensitive would be something that shows a similar act, i.e. showing someone shooting people in a theater.

Have your heard that gangster movie with Sean Penn and Ryan Gosling? Apparently they are re-cutting the movie. Because of what happened. A ganster movie that takes place in the 30’s. Why? Doesn’t make any sense to me. Ban all movies featuring people shooting people then.

Nik, you are right on.

What would Batman do?

they recut it because three ppl with tommy guns shoot thru a movie screen at a theater and kill a bunch of ppl in the trailer

Rollo Tomassi

July 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

Forget Gangster Squad!
Have you seen the trailers for Step Up:Revolution? There are dancers wearing black gear and gas masks!!
How come no one is suggesting dance movies or dancing in general inspired this dickhead with a gun?
That makes about as much sense as the comic connection.

And the media is no doubt going to be going over anything comic related, and Batman related in particular, with a fine tooth comb and extra scrutiny for awhile. So if the comic had come out on time, DC would have gotten crap for “being insensitive”.

Hence my damned if you do, damned if you don’t comment.

its amazing in a month one group of folks are jumping all over a second tier GL now being gay and another group saying “3 cheers for DC for promoting divsersity”…for showing “sensitivy” to a group who has “suffered” discrimination & pain if not outright violence against them.

and now DC is being sensitive to another portion of the USA’s diverse society and one groups cries “oh how dare they self-govern” or “show sensitivy” to a group who has “suffered” a horrific violent tragedy (over 70 people are dead or injured, some critically).

and another group is applauding DC/WARNERS for AGAIN being sensitive to the diverse USA society we live in and that has nurtured this form of entertainment.

be patient and you will get your Bat Inc. #3 and then please sit down. the rest of us want to enjoy our fellow human beings being kind to one another.

@shasta

“pathetic how so many peopel’s EMOTIONS resemble this psycho who caused this tragedy”

Your argument failed right there.

@Rockin69

oh really, show me how?

Matthew Halteman

July 24, 2012 at 10:20 am

I sincerely hope that many of the people posting comments here do not speak English as their first language. Otherwise, the number of grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors exhibited is truly pathetic.

Oh, and DC did the right thing. They’re being respectful, that’s all. Can’t say fairer than that.

Might as well tell the bookstores to pull(temporarily) all the Batman and Joker related books off the shelf. I’m sure there is similar content is those books. Wonder how many of these will wind up on Ebay?

PS

@Rockin69

so you think by taking my following sentense out of context….

….you can say my “argument” failed? Do you THINK you reposted my IDEA accurately & truthfully? well the answer is “no, you havent.” You lied about what I posted.

well, you are no better then the psycho.

I am not posting an “argument” but a FACT.

You are posting an emotional response & distorting my original post because your mind cant accept the truth because it makes you FEEL uncomfortable.

to repeat: you disregard the truth because it makes you FEEL uncomfortable & you dont like the EMOTIONS that my post gave you. That doenst mean my idea or post “failed.”

the aurora killer lived life out of context and felt his feelings & EMOTIONS determined & created reality IN HIS MIND and disregarded the lives of the other people in the greater Aurora community he lived with, due to this way of thinking & feeling.

his isolating of his emotions & his mind, of what he doesnt like in actual physical & intellectual reality, is part of his problem.

just like you are disregarrding the rest of what I posted & taking one sentence out of context from what came before & after that isolated sentence; because you want to create YOUR OWN version of what I said & FEEL better for doing that. Well you are wrong.

dont believe me? here are the killer’s exact words, which are proven fact and caught on film:

“ABC News aired the video Sunday showing Holmes speaking at a science camp at Miramar College in San Diego when he was 18.”

“Holmes’ presentation is on ‘temporal illusion,’ which he defines as ‘an illusion that allows you to change the past.’ ”

“In the video, he said he studies subjective experience, calling it ‘what takes place inside the mind, as opposed to the external world.’ ”

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/national/Who-is-James-Egan-Holmes-Video-offers-insight-into-Aurora-Colorado-The-Dark-Knight-Rises-suspect#ixzz21YyxY117

also many people peeing their pants over DC being sensistive to the Aurora community (slight delay of Bat Inc #3) and gays’ feelings (in regards to having a gay GL) are suffering from the same problem abeit in a much smaller less harmful (yet callous) manner. They chose to ignore the bigger picture and only focus on their own feelings and how it effects their own mind which then colors their judgemnt of how they think of & perceive other people’s(DC’s) actions.

****Anything that doesnt feel right makes them think & act upset, hence the peeing peeing posts against DC.****

PPS oh & people who complain about grammer & punctuation are lame. Obviously you can understand the message or you wouldnt throw a cynic comment like that and avoid addressing what people actually wrote about. so you feel bad about bad grammer. thats doesnt necessarily mean the message is wrong or unfactual.

Batgirls, Inc.

July 24, 2012 at 11:44 am

DC WINS. They look good by showing sensitivity AND gain press and hype that a #3 issue (without a character death or “universe-shattering event”) would never get. The sad reality will be that this horrific event will result in increased sales of a book that was content-delayed because of the horrific event.

What if instead of simply delaying the issue, DC altered the content in question? Let’s be real, the pain of families and friends of the victims, they themselves victims, won’t be gone in a month. What WILL be gone, thanks to our short attention spans, is the attention of the shifty news media, so DC can release the content safe from public reprisal.

Perhaps this necessary delay is unintentionally trying to tell us something. Maybe our superhero comics have gone too far. DC, are you listening to yourself? You’ve explained why you are delaying the book, but have you examined WHY you should have to consider it in the first place?

When the DC New 52 books were released a year ago, it was easier to count how many titles DIDN’T have graphic blood and murder. Not all superhero comics need to be for all ages, but when you can’t point out ONE Bat-book out of ELEVEN that is? DC is catering to blood-lust, and has been for a year. One month without one Batman book won’t erase that.

One exception was the relatively tame but now-cancelled Justice League International, in which Batman was a team member. Then again, we had Godiva’s continuous sexual innuendo…with her hair.

Matthew Halteman

July 24, 2012 at 11:59 am

You betcha, shasta. I stand corrected. Your post makes peeeeerfect sense. (backs away slowly)

So then if DC thinks holding this issue back out of respect changes anything, them maybe we should all boycott the movie itself and not pay to go see it….. I mean out of respect and all.

That being said he is a live stream link to movie online, don’t worry virus free.

Enjoy, I know I am watching it now while I post this.

Yeaa, delay the comic book. Surely scenes depicted there are waaaay worse than those in the movie…

Ok, Lets clear something stuff up right now.
1) DC is not taking the blame for what happened. On their part it was a logical to postpone the issue. Something in the issue would have been really insensitive to put out at the time. There was a SHOOTING AT A BATMAN MOVIE. No matter how you look at it DC needs to treed lightly in this situation. This is them doing damage control.

There seems to be a lot of people here commenting that seem to have their hearts and minds closed to reality. I think you will survive the next month till they put out this issue.

This is bullshit.

@ How is it logical or damage control? Did DC send the gunman there? It happened get over it and move on already. Shit happens, the American government kills guilty and innocent people by collateral damage everyday don’t see anyone caring about that though.

For the supposedly most powerful country on the planet you sure are a bunch of whiny bitches, so glad I am Canadian.

this stories not even true? i just put them in peoples savers at my shop today

Are we getting two Batman Inc Comics next month?

posted by Boost: “Shasta, even though i think I agree with your origimal point, you seem like a real creep.”

@Boost

‘a real creep’? how so? let me post again my original point(s) & why dont you point out where you disagree with me in my original post that warrants the ‘creep’ insult or whatever it is that causes you to call someone names? why dont you act like an adult and instead of name calling against those you disagree with & those who make you feel uncomfortable, you should actual post a factual response of some kind. I bet the psycho thought those he hurt were creeps too and thats why he attacked them. He, like you, cant stand reality & those you disagree with. From name-calling to rock-throwing its one small step. Why not try treating those you disagree with with respect instead of peeing in your pants over their ideas.

Oh Boost, I bet you consider yourself a ‘tolerant’ guy too, right?

Originally posted by shasta, on July 24, 2012 at 9:48 am

“all you guys peeng your pants over DC’s self-governing is as off the wall as those who say violent content caused this.

pathetic how so many peopel’s EMOTIONS resemble this psycho who caused this tragedy: They are living in there own SUBJECTIVE personalist reality and dont care about the OBJECTIVE LARGER reality of living within a very very diverse society of diverse human beings.”

Well, news of this postponement hadn’t reached France, because the comics was on sale here this wednesday.