Joe Kubert Presents coming from DC Comics this fall

DC Comics celebrated America’s birthday today by announcing Joe Kubert Presents, a “far-ranging collection of stories from comics legend Joe Kubert.” The first issue of the six-issue anthology arrives on Halloween.

The 48-page first issue will feature a “Hawkman” story written and drawn by Kubert, as well as an “Angel and the Ape” story by Brian Buniak and a new “U.S.S. Stevens” tale by Sam Glanzman.

Buniak, a caricature artist and current instructor at The Kubert School, has contributed to Mad Magazine and Cracked in the past, as well Thunderbunny in the 1980s. Glanzman, meanwhile, is probably best known for his war comics, many of which were set on the U.S.S. Stevens, the ship he served on during World War II. He also co-created the former Charlton/now DC Comics character Sarge Steel, and worked on several DC war titles like G.I. Combat, Weird War Tales and Sgt. Rock. He also inked Tim Truman’s wonderful work on the Joe Lansdale-written Jonah Hex miniseries that Vertigo published in the 1990s.

“I’ve been given the privilege to design the kind of comic book that I would enjoy reading and one in which I’d like to participate,” Kubert told DC’s The Source blog. “This is it. I’ll be doing Hawkman, Spit, The Redeemer, Sgt. Rock and The Biker in this six-issue anthology. In addition, the book features the wonderful talents of Sam Glanzman and Brian Buniak. I had a blast doing it. I hope it blows you away.”

Here’s the cover for the first issue:

Joe Kubert Presents #1

Comments

So the new take on Sgt Rock that was in MEN OF WAR is now toast, I guess.

Does this mean I finally get a Ragman appearance?

I suspect this will be out of continuity like Legends of the Dark Knight

Simon DelMonte

July 4, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Wow. Joe is still going strong.

Andrew Collins

July 4, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Wow, so he’s finally getting to the Redeemer project originally announced by DC in 1982. I’m glad to finally get the chance to read it after all these years…

Mark Bramlage

July 4, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Wow. I get to see a REAL Hawkman and not some convaluted Image wanna be? I am a very happy man.

@Andrew Collins.

Ditto. I was at the SD Con in ’82 where Joe formally introduced “The Redeemer” in a DC panel, with the late, great Dick Giordano looking on. Joe showe us the first cover and some pages.

And that cover depicted above is &%*@# epic!!!

I’ve been looking forward to this since he discussed it in that interview a couple of months ago. Nice to see it’s coming soon! I was prepared for a longer wait.

Finally, DC doing something right! I only hope is leads to a USS Stevens collection, as well.

Bicycle-Repairman

July 4, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Joe Kubert drawing Hawkman, Sgt. Rock and more? I’m definitely going to buy it.

Jake Earlewine

July 5, 2012 at 3:32 am

Yay! Hawkman is back!

Fantastic news, I also remember the Redeemer mentioned in, I think, an Amazing Heroes special – it sounded excellent.

Very tempting to buy single issuges for instant gratification, but the collection should be worth the wait.

Ok. Now THIS I can bite me teeth in. Joe Kubert, hell yeah!

Looks great, a must buy for me.

Yeah, in contrast to some of the other recent stuff that has soured me , giving Kubert a 48 page anthology is an exciting move.

Indeed, if it is not in the new 52, I will be even more eager for it!

Yes! Yes!!! YES!!!!!

Francis Dawson

July 6, 2012 at 1:35 am

Holey moley, Sam Glanzman !!!

Saber Tooth Tiger Mike

July 7, 2012 at 5:17 am

I guess this is his reward for working on Before Watchmen.

Phil Demcovitz

July 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Can you have Brian Buniak email me. THANKS

R.I.P. Mr. Joe Kubert. you wil be missed.