Rush Limbaugh spies link between Dark Knight Rises’ Bane and Bain

When most comics fans see Bane, they think of a quintessential 1990s supervillain, the super-strong “Man Who Broke the Bat.” But when conservative radio commentator Rush Limbaugh sees Bane, he thinks of a left-wing conspiracy.

As Warner Bros. makes its final promotional push for The Dark Knight Rises, which features Tom Hardy as Batman’s hulking nemesis, Limbaugh launched into a screed linking the prominence of Bane in entertainment news with the prominence of Bain — that is, the venture-capital company co-founded by Mitt Romney — in the political debate. Oh, don’t act surprised.

“Do you think it is accidental that the name of the really vicious fire-breathing, four-eyed whatever-it-is villain in this movie is named Bane?” The Hollywood Reporter quotes Limbaugh as saying on today’s show. He apparently acknowledged that the development of the Christopher Nolan film predates the current line of attack by President Obama’s reelection campaign, but even the pesky tendency of time to move in a linear fashion — retroactive retirements aside — can’t get in the way of a good conspiracy theory!

“So this evil villain in the new Batman movie is named Bane. And there’s discussion out there as to whether or not this was purposeful and whether or not it will influence voters. It’s going to have a lot of people,” Limbaugh continued. “The audience is going to be huge. A lot of people are going to see the movie. And it’s a lot of brain-dead people, entertainment, the pop-culture crowd, and they’re going to hear Bane in the movie and they’re going to associate Bain. And the thought is that when they’re going to start paying attention to the campaign later in the year, and Obama and the Democrats keep talking about Bain, not Bain Capital but Romney and Bain, that these people will start thinking back to the Batman movies — ‘Oh yeah, I know who that is!’”

Who that is, as most DC Comics readers know, is a character co-created two decades ago by Chuck Dixon, a conservative writer whose political views are probably more in line with Romney’s than Obama’s. The Hollywood Reporter also notes, perhaps unnecessarily, that Bane debuted about a year before Romney launched his unsuccessful 1994 bid to unseat Sen. Ted Kennedy, who ran a series of ads focused on Bain Capital that were credited with contributing to Romney’s loss.

UPDATE: Commenters on Twitter and on Robot 6 both point out that Limbaugh is merely picking up the baton from The Washington Examiner and The Washington Times, which report the Bane/Bain meme actually originated on liberal blogs — although the links there seem largely focused on supposed thematic parallels and photo mash-ups rather than, y’know, some secret plot that would require mind control and a time machine.

After seeing an attempt to link Bane with Bain, Dixon wrote, “I saw it on FB like two hours ago. Ridiculous. Tho’ I got a cold feeling in the pit of my stomach that Rush  may pick up on this. And that would be the second time he pegged me and Graham as liberals on his show […] Overgrasping Dems? Hey, if it gets Obama supporters into theaters. Maybe they’ll buy thousands of Bane toys to throw at Romney. It all adds to MY Bane capital. I wonder if the Romney campaign will contact me?”

And speaking of photo mash-ups, commenter Berk links us to this one from ActClassy:

Comments

What a stooge. :P

Really… who even bothers to take Rush seriously anymore? I’m a conservative and I take him with as much a grain of salt as Howard Stern, the Colbert Report, and the WWE. Hmmm… although I probably take Colbert a little more serious than the rest of them. haha

Remember last Barman movie, where right-wingers applauded Barman for his use of warrantless wiretaps in defeating the Joker? :’D

Curtis Hedrick

July 17, 2012 at 2:16 pm

As someone stated before me I too am a conservative and I don’t listen to anything Rush has to say. None of it makes any sense, it’s pretty bad when people who are on the same side as you think your nuts.

*Batman

Damn autocorrect :P (Barman would be a sweet superhero, though!)

Rush Limbaugh is a moron, and only morons listen to anything he has to say. The man is the intellectual equivalent of lice.

This news is a few days old. No need to tie it to Rush as he is just picking up on it as well. I read about it yesterday in the Washington Times.

Chuck Dixon even called Rush picking up on this.

Yes I agree that Rush is ignorant in his knowledge of Batman. But what this website fails to reveal is that this whole Bain/Bane originally came about from Left wing bloggers. But hey all of us Conservatives know where hated by 9.5 out of 10 comic book ppl and websites. Thanks for being tolerant ;)

Wow, what a nimrod. Don’t Limburger’s interns know how to Wiki “Bane” or something?

I heard this on the radio, this is a complete misrepresentation of what happened

@Unit77

It’s more of a boy-who-cried-wolf issue. To me, anyway.

“The audience is going to be huge. A lot of people are going to see the movie. And it’s a lot of brain-dead people, entertainment, the pop-culture crowd, and they’re going to hear Bane in the movie and they’re going to associate Bain.”
It sounds to me that Rush just confused himself with the rest of the world.

It’s funny because the guy who created bane is really pretty conservative, as are lots of elements of Batman Begins with the way that it portrays Bruce keeping his company for himself instead of going public is portrayed as a huge victory.

Paul T. Semones

July 17, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Please correct this article.

As the other commenters have pointed out above, this is NOT Rush Limbaugh’s idea, he was just talking about something that was already making the rounds on the web. The whole tone of this post is just astonishingly ignorant of the facts, and does exactly what it accuses Limbaugh of doing: stirring up a fervor against someone the target audience is expected to hate. This tie between Bane and Bain was linked from the Drudge Report over the weekend, long before Rush picked up on it.

Getting your facts wrong to tar and feather an ideological opponent for supposedly getting his facts wrong in the process of tarring and feathering an ideological opponent … way to go, guys.

limbaugh is trying to file suit against the producers of “ghostbusters” for misuse of his image as the sta-puff marshmallow man.dissing pop culture?what does he think propelled his fame?it certainly wasn’t his vast knowledge of politics….

“Batman Begins with the way that it portrays Bruce keeping his company for himself instead of going public is portrayed as a huge victory.”

I think you misunderstand that sequence, especially since the guy pushing for the company to go public is something of a sub-villain, and Bruce Wayne has more of an interest in his company and what his company can do for Gotham. That’s not conservative politics, it’s preserving a family legacy.

He’s just upset he wasn’t cast as King Tut.

As if that wasn’t crazy enough, check this out http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/jul/17/dark-knight-rises-capitalist-superhero. I absolutely love Batman and I absolutely love Chris Nolan’s films. I think it’s sad that people are actually trying to use the hype surrounding the movie to highlight their own political ideologies. Come on! It’s Batman for crying out loud!

Jackass

I am a Conservative Republican. When I think of Bane, I think of the Batman supervillain not Bain concerning Romney. I think the general movie fan will think of Bane the villain and not Romney. I disagree with Rush on this.

Oh Rush, you so stupid.

Funny all the people saying this is a “misrepresentation” of the facts, when the facts are Rush said these things and his quotes aren’t being questioned. At no point did the article state that it originated with Rush, but as the most visible commentator on the subject, he’s more likely to be quoted. The fact he thought it was worth mentioning at all should make both his fans and detractors alike embarrassed.

At the end of the day, Rush’s comments are so absurd they demand to be pointed out.

Who’s Rush Limbaugh again? No one cares what he think except the people who need to find political crap in every single thing and bitch about it.

I’m a Republican and a conservative but this is just stupid!

The Boy With A Herve Villechaize Tattoo

July 17, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Hmmm…so by the methodology of Limbaugh I’m thinking of George MCGOVERN as I eat my morning MCMUFFIN! WOW! That’s quite the MCGUFFIN’!!! ;D

I can’t wait to hear what the dummies on Fox and Friends have to say about it.
Be sure to let us know.

LOL wut?

Statham- it speaks to the notion that the means of production need to stay with the individual as oppose to belonging to everyone. If the company goes public it could mean batman doesn’t get his gadgets

These are the same people that compared Batman’s cellphone eves-dropping device as symbolism of George W. Bush’s “Patriot Act” and praised the so-called comparison in “The Dark Knight”. By the way, Rush, the same people that made movie made “Batman Rises”… Thanks for playing the game.

Aren’t we about 15 years past taking one syllable that comes out of Rush Limbaugh’s mouth seriously

not that I agree with it but there are definite Ayn Rand elements in Batman Begins.

The Boy With A Herve Villechaize Tattoo

July 17, 2012 at 3:00 pm

@Talmidge: BATlas Shrugged?!? ;)

@Paul T. Semones If he was piling up on the same idea, it doesn’t matter that it didn’t originate from him.

WHAT?!!!

That sounds condescending to the point of absurdity.

Does Rush believe the undecided voters don’t understand homonyms?

Ok, the majority of you need to stop drinking the leftist Kool-Aid. I’m sure the majority of you support OWS and have you hand out for all the free stuff, and everything is Bush’s fault, etc…. but like most Libs you, once again, miss the point.
The above is the link to the article that clearly states that the idea was spawned from from your crowd.
I have been collecting for over 30 years, more than likely longer than most of you have been alive, and it pains me, as a conservative, everyday to see a medium I love being overrun by the left more and more.
Chuck Dixon is pretty Conservative, and calls it right when he says that the left is really grasping here.

@po1america: “Leftist” Kool-Aid? First of all, being left of a neocon schmuck like Rush Limbaugh is hardly “leftist.” There’s a LOT of room left of where false conservatives draw America’s political “center.” Second, political satire dates back to the Greek playwright Aristophanes. Third, we’ve endured unflattering caricatures of Obama for four years–including one of him as a monkey shot by police. So suck it up.

Jon Stewart made the comparison on the Daily Show as well, but obviously jokingly. In fact, anybody who doesn’t take it as a joke, liberal or conservative, really needs to chill, take a look in the mirror, and ask themselves “Do I really want to sound as crazy as Rush?”

@po1america:

I agree. Reality does have a well-known liberal bias. :D

@Evan: “Don’t Limburger’s interns know how to Wiki “Bane” or something?”

Of course they do. But his listeners don’t.

Rush isn’t stupid. He just counts on his LISTENERS being stupid. (Like during the Fluke controversy when he kept talking about how “she has so much sex she needs ALL THESE PILLS.” Dude’s been married, what, three times? Four? And has no kids. He knows how birth control works; he was just pretending not to in order to whip up his audience.)

Anyway, uh, there’s also the ACTUAL DEFINITION of the word “bane”:

Damn dictionaries and their liberal bias!

You’ve got to be kidding me. From what I see if anything Rush should be chomping at the bit to see this movie. It’s Batman vs. Occupy Gotham ;)

@P.F.- That’s the thing though, the left is serious about this. They honestly think that this idea has wings. Thats called desperation. And unflattering caricatures? Never saw the one you speak of, and wouldn’t condone it if I did.

@po1america

There are just as many crazy people on the right as there are on the left. Don’t assume we all think the same as super-ultra-mega-liberals do, and we won’t assume you are all Rush fanatics. I think that’s fair.

Well, I was going to vote for Romney, but now that I find out he used to be in charge of a company that has a name that sounds the same as the name of a Batman villain, even though the words are spelled differently, I’m going to vote for Obama. Because that makes sense.

Not American.

July 17, 2012 at 3:51 pm

America is a really weird place. Rarely will I stumble across online comments from either right or left that fail to recognize any sort of diversity within the political spectrum. Both sides portray the other as some sort of outlandish caricature (ie. the communist trying to overthrow the country or the redneck shouting ‘they took our jobs). Specifically, I find most conversation humorous as a Leftist: at most, the majority of the American Left is Liberal in a classical, Lockean sense. Moreover, I also find it amusing that Right Wing members ask for tolerance towards their side of the spectrum: a side notoriously and historically associated with major, intolerant groups. I suppose these are simply systems of the American partisan system.

Speaking as an outsider to America (a Canadian), we often find ourselves perplexed at the sorts of ‘news’ that comes out of your country. Regarding socialized medicine (ie. Obamacare, universal health care), most Western outsiders simply shake their head at the fact that well-integrated policy at home is still in the debate stage this late date in America. Abortion, income tax, social assistance, universal pension; these are all things that the rest of the Western world has adopted, with great success, for decades.

Also, to the comic readers that are worried that the left are ‘taking over’ comicbookdom, I think it’s simply that most folks in any sector have adopted an anti-conservative stance given its evident lack of sustainability.

Not American.

July 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I apologize for the grammar and spelling in my previous post; copy and paste from the txt file was botched :).

@Not American- I can appreciate what you say, but want to point out a couple errors in your analysis:
The fact that the right is associated with “major intolerant groups” might be the myth, but the fact of the matter is, the Democrats (The Left) started the KKK, for instance, as a way to keep Republicans and minorities from voting, after the Civil War.
Secondly, Conservatism is defined as Small Government, traditional values based on what our Founding Fathers put in place. These go hand in hand with capitalism, which, works and is sustainable, where socialism and communism always fail.

@P.F. Burns: Agreed, NeoCons are essentially an Americanized and airbrushed extension of the Nazi ideal. Anyone wants to dispute that and I’ll be happy to give you a bit of history on it. Anyway, P.F. Burns is right, being left of a Neo Conservative doesn’t make you any more leftist than card carrying Republicans. And Limbaugh is a total gasbag douche that no one in their right mind should listen to.

OK, so this is just silly. But it’s also not new.

I happened to read about this on _The Atlantic Wire_ this morning. Two or three progressives talked about how they wanted to make this connection. Then there was this quote:

The entire Batman movie could serve as an allegory for the 2012 election, says Rich Watch. From the perspective of progressives, Mitt Romney is Bane, “the toughest match the Dark Knight has ever had to face,” while Obama is Batman, “once thought of as a hero, now thought to be a monster, [and who] must return to fight for his ideals.” (At the end of the last film, Batman took the fall for Gotham City’s corruption, much the way Obama is blamed for the recession, and became a pariah.) (end quote)

_Rich Watch_ said that last January!

Can we all agree that there are a lot of people being stupid right now? It’s not just those on the right or the left. (Limbaugh, whom I personally can’t stand, is probably getting the press because he’s the best known person out there, but it’s both sides.)

Can we also all agree that we can’t wait until this weekend?

Chuck is a very thoughtful guy, regardless of what you think of his politics, and he’s not mincing words:

“The idea that there’s some kind of liberal agenda behind the use of Bane in the new movie is silly,” Chuck Dixon told ComicBook.com.

bluedevil2002

July 17, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I think Rush is giving too much credit to the general public for knowing what Bain is.

I’m looking at the picture of Romney and all I hear in Tom Hardy’s Bane voice is,”I’m America’s reckoning.”

I am liberal and I listen to Limbaugh. I heard the segment today from start to finish and all I could think is how stupid is this. Whether he believes it or not he is just spewing out real hatred. No matter where this meme started. So a bunch of liberals saw the Bane/Bain name and were like oh thats cool. Rush specifically said that the creators of the movie were in on it with the Obama campaign, now all us comic lovin people no better than that. The thing is if you go look at Fox Nation or the comments from the Examiner, people actually believe that this is a conspiracy on Obama’s part. I respect some conservative ideas but I hope any on here can really see the crazy in your party. There really is no defending Rush here.

Ruben Bolling made a great political comic along these lines:

It cuts both ways. Remember when Democrat senator Alan Grayson drew parallels between himself and Green Lantern? And look, this very blog reported on it last year.

I would totally buy Bain vs Barack the Barbarian

“He apparently acknowledged that the development of the Christopher Nolan film predates the current line of attack by President Obama’s reelection campaign, but even the pesky tendency of time to move in a linear fashion — retroactive retirements aside — can’t get in the way of a good conspiracy theory!”

Time has a well-documented liberal bias.

Maybe Romney worked for Bain Capital all those years because he hates Batman and Bruce Wayne’s style of Billionaire philanthropy.

@po1america
The KKK was NOT started by liberals. in the 1800s (and even throughout most of the 1900s), being a republican or democrat did not mean the same thing it means today.

actually Obama’s liberals started this whole thing. how come ROBOT 6′s CBR article got it ALL WRONG. Why dont you post the ENTIRE newspaper articles on how Obama’s Campaign WANTS TO USE THE DARK KNIGHT & BANE comparison in their own OBAMA CAMPAIGN ANNOUNCEMENTS AND MESSAGING??? ???? Rush did not create this BS. Read it and weep folks. Rush is simply playing them for the fools they admit to being:

‘PICKET: Batman villain creator reacts to character’s comparison to Romney – ‘Ridiculous’..’Overgrasping Dems’

Well here’s a non-sensical comparison from Democrats for the Obama campaign to use. According to Paul Bedard at The Washington Examiner, the Obama campaign takes Batman’s new enemy Bane, a pumped up venom gas breathing maniac, in the movie “The Dark Knight Rises” and compares him to presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney, because of the Massachusetts GOP’ers previous work with the investment firm Bain Capital, which Obama and Democrats say was a job killer. Get it–Bane and Bain? Bedard writes:

“Bane” is the terrorist in the new movie who drives the caped crusader out of semi-retirement in the final Batman movie. Democrats, who believe they have Romney on the ropes over the president’s assault on his leadership at Bain Capital, said the comparisons are too rich to ignore.
“It has been observed that movies can reflect the national mood,” said Democratic advisor and former Clinton aide Christopher Lehane. “Whether it is spelled Bain and being put out by the Obama campaign or Bane and being out by Hollywood, the narratives are similar: a highly intelligent villain with offshore interests and a past both are seeking to cover up who had a powerful father and is set on pillaging society,” he added.

Comic book writer Chuck Dixon created the character of Bane with Graham Nolan in the early 90′s and Dixon’s reaction to the news above, according to his message board on his website Dixonverse.net, was “I saw it on FB like two hours ago. Ridiculous. Tho’ I got a cold feeling in the pit of my stomach that Rush (Limbaugh) may pick up on this. And that would be the second time he pegged me and Graham as liberals on his show.”

He later added, “Overgrasping Dems? Hey, if it gets Obama supporters into theaters. Maybe they’ll buy thousands of Bane toys to throw at Romney. It all adds to MY Bane capital. I wonder if the Romney campaign will contact me?”

The DC Comics character Bane is best known for releasing all of Gotham City’s criminals from Arkham Asylum. Batman is pushed to the point of exhaustion as he rounds them all back up, but Bane is waiting for him and breaks Batman’s back. Bane brings forth chaos, anarchy, and lawlessness. Mitt Romney is not the first person to come to mind as far as the character of Bane is concerned. In fact, the chaos that Bane brings is reminiscent of Occupy Wall Street protests.

Other than the silly name play by the Obama campaign, the comparison is ridiculous, especially because Selina Kyle (Catwoman), a thief who steals from rich individuals and played by actress Ann Hathaway in the film, whispers to ultra wealthy Bruce Wayne, Batman’s alter ego, in one trailer: “There’s a storm coming, Mr. Wayne,” she says. “You and your friends better batten down the hatches. Because when it hits you’re all going to wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.”

Obviously, the Democrats miscast some characters here and may want to reconsider their advice to the Obama campaign.

“Holy Copycat Batman! Campaign dubs Obama-Biden ‘Dynamic Duo’ ”

It’s already started. Getting a jump on the anticipated hype coming this week around the last Batman movie, “Dark Knight Rises,” the Obama-Biden campaign has decided who they want their leading men to play: Batman and Robin.

In a tweet sent out Sunday, the campaign showed President Obama and Vice President Biden high-fiving under the headline “Dynamic Duo.”

We reported on Monday that some Democrats and foes of Mitt Romney were looking to use the movie and its villain against the Republican candidate. It’s an easy move because the bad guy has a name that sounds just like the main target of Obama and Biden, Bain Capital, the firm Romney used to run. The villain’s name: “Bane.”

The movie could provide a confusing symbolism, however, because there are rumors that Batman doesn’t make it in the end, a story line based on a David Letterman interview with Catwoman actress Anne Hathaway.

A hat tip to our friend Jeryl Bier who first pointed out the Dynamic Duo picture to Secrets and tied our story and the picture together in a nice post.

I like Rush but seriously dude making something out of nothing. There is no ties. I will say I did have worries about Catwoman being like Occupy Wall Streeter after first trailer.

I’m surprised this article is still up as I have pointed out and several others have pointed out this has been taken out of context, and Rush was talking about a Washington post article about the subject.

Dear Mr. Limbaugh,

To quote the honorable Bob and Doug McKenzie–TAKE OFF, YOU HOSER.

To paraphrase the underrated “Robin Hood: Men In Tights”–WATCH WHAT YOU SAY, OR ELSE I’ll PUT OUT YOUR LIGHTS.

Sincerely,
Your everyday Kicker of Far Right/Far Left butts.

Then again glen Beck made an off hand commentary about michelle Obama being responsible for the creation of miles morales and this site and marvel pounced, even though beck said it with a bit tongue and cheek,

What amazes me are the conservatives who pretend to be embarrassed.

Liberals run this site and they are more than willing to take things out of context to mock and belittle people. The liberal equivalent gets conveniently ignored always, though partly it has to do with the lack of liberal commentators who garner a large audience

In other news,…

Paranoid Nucking Futbag Political Commentator is a Paranoid Nucking Futbag.

More on that story as time marches on.

Way to screw up a story CBR…Rush was just picking up what others have said. Im getting sick of the political crap showing up on this site….starting to feel like Aint it liberal news

I keep checking to see if this argument has been settled. I’m starting to worry that we’ll never come to an understanding.

@Joemama
I shant care if ye art liberal OR conservative, as long as ye KNEEL BEFORE ZO–er, MEGATRON.

Oh yeah, by the by: I rode into town on an @$$–JOEMAMA’S @$$

@dr. internet
Oh, we’ll come to an understanding all right…EVERYONE, SUBMIT and KNEEL BEFORE ZO–er, MEGATRON!!!

Reading this is watching liberals show off the walls of their bubble.

Dork:
I agree but even as conservative and comic book fan I can’t defend rush on this one.

He’s completely mocking this whole Bane-Bain thing. This is not his idea, and he mocks it as the ridiculous nonsense it is.

He’s done nothing here but mock it and the idea that people are either brain-dead and can be influenced by saying Bane = Romney, or that people would be doing the mental gynastics to draw the comparison in the first place. Listen to the audio! Read the transcripts!

This is so flippin’ bizarre. You have to be taking crazy pills to think that Rush is saying anything wrong. You have to WANT to get this wrong.

“You may think it’s ridiculous, I’m just telling you this is the kind of stuff the Obama team is lining up. The kind of people who would draw this comparison are the kind of people that they are campaigning to. These are the kind of people that they are attempting to appeal to.” -Rush Limbaugh

“picking up the baton” and running with it, Robot6? How about calling it out as stupid? That would be accurate, and the opposite of your entire article.

This article is the most biased one I have seen. Jon Stewart and the left have been fling this Bain and Bane thing lately. Rush was mocking the fact they have been doing this. But hey anything that sells right.

Aaaaand now BleedingCool runs the story, and just… can’t… quite… get it… right. Okay, fine. BOOO RUSH LIMBAUGH YOU MONSTER

70+ comments and no one has mentioned Rob Liefeld. Sigh.

R.M.Carpenter

July 18, 2012 at 2:25 am

I don’t really care one way or another about anything that spews from any of Limbaugh’s orifices. I’m just here to point and laugh at all the conservative apologists who are acting all oppressed. “Boo hoo! This site is so liberal! Rush didn’t start it!”

Limbaugh may not have started this, but he’s latched onto the story and is dry-humping it for all he’s worth.

Yawn. I come to this site for Comic Book News. Pundits have their own websites. Now can I please be assured that the Fantastic Four is not going the way of the Dodo Bird?

This has got to be the stupidest thing i have ever heard.

I am amazed that the libs are running with the story as if it was Rush’s idea and he was serious.

1) He was repeating something that was on liberal blogs over the weekend

2) It was sarcasm and farce of said blogs

Is it really that hard to figure out?

“Do you think it is accidental that the name of the really vicious fire-breathing, four-eyed whatever-it-is villain in this movie is named Bane?” Considering “Bane” means death, destruction, poison, etc., then Rush is correct, it was no accident.

Oh, NOW I get it. Obama is The Dark Knight because he’s… well… black?

Somehow this article still misses the point that this all originated with the Obama administration, not Rush or someone else. Guess it’s just easier to blame the commenter than clearly state the facts.

Wow, what a terrible article. Facts aren’t for comic book sites I guess! 1. Rush had nothing to do with this. 2. This was a left wing accusation. 3. It’s old anyway

When will you stop giving this clown so much attention?

“Somehow this article still misses the point that this all originated with the Obama administration”

No, it didn’t. At best you could claim it started with the Obama CAMPAIGN, though that would be wrong too. Neither liberal blogs nor D.C. newspapers (especially not the WASHINGTON TIMES) are part of the Obama administration.

“Guess it’s just easier to blame the commenter than clearly state the facts.”

Apparently so.

This is just a meaningless coincidence that won’t influence anyone either way. Unfortunately, that’s too boring to entertain listeners/readers.

sandwich eater

July 18, 2012 at 7:34 am

Doesn’t Bane first appearance in the comics pre-date the founding of Bain Capital? Also, I think that this meme means that either no one remembers Batman and Robin or no one has seen that movie.

“Doesn’t Bane first appearance in the comics pre-date the founding of Bain Capital?”

No. Bain Capital was founded in 1984. Bane first appeared in 1993. The two events are completely unrelated.

LOL! I love watching all the Conservative apologists lose their mind trying to explain this one away. Tell me guys, hiw is it that when Obama or the Libs say something, it’s concrete conspiratorial fact. But, when some nutcase like Rush shoots his mouth off, suddenly it’s all some complex “metaphor” or “parody”? Oh silly hatemongers. I hope you wake up one day. Otherwise, the world is simply going to leave you behind. Good luck.

The real tragedy this thing illustrates is that we can’t just recognize the coincidence and hilarity of the situation without picking sides. I think it’s safe to say we are all passionate comic book fans. I think it’s safe to say that Batman is one of the most popular super heroes of all time and the Dark Knight Rises will make several assloads of money. And finally i think it’s safe to say that the movie will not have an impact on the election, and your political leanings will most likely not impact whether or not you see the movie.

Howzabout we just enjoy the timely coincidence and get back to what we normally do – bitching about comic books!

@Rich

I suggest you try reading the links.

I’m not surprised that this article is still up of course. At least the commentators here aren’t mocking Rush Limbaugh’s previous battle with drugs. (Which I found even funnier, since, by the standards of the attackers on io9, if they call Rush a drug addict, then they must believe that President Obama is a coke and pot head, who runs with terrorists and torments women.)

Al Franken was right, Rush Linbaugh really IS a big, fat idiot. BTW, Drudge is a tin-foil-hat-wearing, frothing-at-the-mouth, certifiable lunatic.

@The Live_Wire

I did read the links. Chris Lehane is quoted, of course, but not as the origin of the Bane/Bain comparison. His quote simply acknowledges that one could draw a comparison. It’s pretty vapid infotainment garbage, really. The fact that Lehane is a Democrat doesn’t prove anything. He’s just the expert that the reporter called or e-mailed for a comment.

I’m not sure what the bold text in your post is intended to prove. Lehane indicates that information about Bain Capital is coming from the Obama campaign, not information about the Batman villain or any comparisons between the two.

Bane would have been the villain in the movie no matter what Republican won the presidential nomination. It’s not a surprise that elements of KNIGHTFALL are used in a Batman movie. It’s not even Bane’s first appearance in a Batman film.

Of course brain-dead folks will be influenced by it. If it weren’t for the brain-dead Obama wouldn’t have any voters.

Rush is fat? Y’all really don’t pay attention do you?

You know that young Barry once pushed a girl to the ground because she was black and the other kids made fun of him for having a black girl like him? Barack Hussein Obama, a man who would push a girl to impress racists.

Actually…all Limbaugh is doing is repeating what Obama’s surrogotes have offered.
Don’ t believe me?
From the Washington Examiner:

And Oz Baxter…the hatemongers are the lefties who need people upset and angry to foment unrest and “change”…this is the left’s stock in trade. Pitting one group of Americans against another. Wasnt’ Obama a community organizer? What do community organizers do again? Oh yeah..make one of group of Americans upset about something then pit them against another group of Americans. Lo and behold..Obama’s class warfare with the doozy this week..”“If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”
Tell me Oz Baxter…if you work hard and become successful..do you owe your success to the government? That’s what little Barry is saying. Playing the class warfare card…hatemongering.

I’m a fairly conservative guy, but all I could think of when I saw this on Fox last night was: “Rush, get your head out of your ass.”

Mike McNulty aka stillanerd

July 18, 2012 at 6:13 pm

The quotes from Rush Limbaugh quoted in this article, and others, are not EVERYTHING he said about this. Later on in that same broadcast, he added the following:

LIMBAUGH: “The Bane character in [The Dark Knight Rises] was a terrorist. He’s out to destroy Gotham, New York City, which is the case in every Batman movie. BUT INSTEAD I\OF SOUNDING LIKE ROMNEY, HE SOUNDS LIKE AN OCCUPY WALL STREET GUY, IN TRUTH. Now, THERE’S A STORY IN THE WASHINGTON TIMES COMMUNITY today: “Is Mitt Romney…Batman? — OPPONENTS OF MITT ROMNEY have noticed that the name of Batman’s villain in the upcoming film The Dark Knight Rises is homonymous with the name of an investment firm that Romney founded in 1984. The childish ‘aha’ moment was not unpredictable. Americans have tolerated condescension remarkably well for the past four years, so we can presumably take an insult to our ability to spell — or ability to follow a storyline, for that matter.”

But, anyway, I didn’t really know what the point of this story is. They’re trying to point out that in Batman the good guy and the rich guy are one and the same, and that’s Bruce Wayne. And so what this gal is saying here is: Hey, instead of falling in with the evil guy being Bane, LET”S JUST SAY BATMAN IS ROMNEY. Batman’s Romney, he’s the evil rich guy, he’s the good rich guy, he’s out to save New York. The rich guy’s the good guy. Of course the evil guy is always rich too in these Batman movies. You may think it’s ridiculous, I’m just telling you THIS IS THE KIND OF STUFF THE OBAMA TEAM IS LINING UP. The kind of people who would draw this comparison are the kind of people that they are campaigning to. These are the kind of people that they are attempting to appeal to.”

Oh, and BTW, Jon Steward of the Daily Show made the joke about Romeny and Bane first on the Daily Show (scroll to the 50 second mark): http://www.businessinsider.com/jon-stewart-destroys-romney-bain-capital-tax-returns-blind-trust-defense-daily-show-video-2012-7

Mike McNulty aka stillanerd

July 18, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Excuse me, I meant Jon STEWART, not STEWARD

And in other news, here’s a transcript of Limbaugh’s response where he reveals everyone that doesn’t like him jumped to conclusions:

Limbaugh is trash, and he reinforces that phrase over and over again….. (how sad that he is credible to anyone…)

I just saw the Liefeld comment…… Now that’s a reason to avoid a bunch of DC Comics, isn’t it???? (I love the corelation….)

killazontherun

July 18, 2012 at 11:25 pm

‘And I noticed someone pulled out the old chestnut about Democrats trying to intimidate the blacks back in the 1800s. Why don’t you pull out the “Democrats opposed Civil Rights in the 60s” rant that’s so popular these days? Ignoring the fact that those Democrats abandoned their party and became staunch Republicans immediately afterwards.’

That is not true. The Democrat Party had a huge electoral advantage in the South up to the Reagan campaign in 1980, a quarter of a century after the LBJ era laws were past, and the vast number of politicians of that era like Byrd stayed put.

Check out the results of the 1976 election, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1976. The South went hard for Carter. The only reason you don’t see these results in ’68 and ’72 for the Democratic candidate is because of the disaster of the ’68 convention and then the nomination of an anti-war candidate in ’72 in McGovern. Still, Democratic office holders strongly dominated in the South until the election of Reagan in ’1980, and then Republicans began to elect Governors, Congressmen and Senators that surpassed Democratic numbers.

I’m not a fan of either party, and I’m voting Gary Johnson in November. However, you shouldn’t ignore history because it exposes the ugly history of our belief systems. Eugenics was very much part of the progressive movement of the early twentieth century. The Klan had died off and came back as a progressive movement. Woodrow Wilson was a progressive, a Klansman, and he brought the country what he called War Socialism during WWI. FDR, still the patron saint of the Democratic party, had Japanese Americans rounded up and interned. Any special reason to think they were more dangerous than German Americans?

Listen, all of our poop stinks, and progressive get quite a bit on their hands too.

Now if it were a Machine Man movie and they were doing a Sunset Bain comparison, I would at least understand why.

Shouldnt he also get upset by Nightwings Republic of Tomorrow now that he’s at it? I mean it could ‘easily’ be perceived as Republicans of Tomorrow!

Brainandbrainwhatisbrain

July 19, 2012 at 5:31 am

As an actual conservative who is neither a republican or a democrat, I can only offer this.
Rush…stfu.

Mike Thompson

July 19, 2012 at 9:12 am

I loved Rush’s albums from the late 70′s to the mid 80′s, and still listen to them today.

INdy the Independent

July 20, 2012 at 12:10 am

Wow, that was a crazy but fun time to waste two hours. Reading all the comments, what a riot! The thing that you all fail to see is that no one wins the election. The election has already been decided. By whom you ask? Not the Democrats, nor the Repubs. The voters have no say anymore. Our world is headed to a global government.

I love my comics and comic book movies. That’s what drew me here. The Bain/Bane thing didn’t make any sense to me because I’m a comic book fan and know Bane from Batman. Whoever thought up Bain Capital and Bane the villain and it’s comparison is searching for a way to riot both sides. It’s just a game to those that really want to get us wriled up (sp?).

So, whatever side of the aisle that you stand, it doesn’t matter ’cause the people don’t care anymore.

Have a good day!

Oh, and Rush is a lunatic who needs to keep his comments to himself! He’s talking crazy talk!

INdy the Independent

July 20, 2012 at 12:16 am

Oops, I mean don’t matter. The people don’t matter. Not to those that make all the decisions for “we the people.” There’s got to be an ending right? For every beginning there’s an ending right?! Well, not for eternal life, or death.