Robot Roulette | Christos Gage
If you’ve been paying attention the last few weeks, you know the score–I’ve got 36 random questions that need to be answered, and every week I throw six of them at a different comic creator. What questions they answer is determined by the fates–or, more specifically, a random number generator.
Now let’s get to it …
2. What was the last good book (not comics) that you read?
Days Of Destruction, Days Of Rage by Chris Hedges and Joe Sacco. Powerful and heartbreaking picture of the hardships faced by the most vulnerable among us, and how they’re spreading to affect more and more Americans. Actually, that had some comics in it, so maybe I should say Joe Hill’s 20th Century Ghosts, a short story horror collection with some real winners that linger with you in the dark recesses of your mind. The one about the kid who builds things out of boxes still freaks me out.
10. Who is your favorite band/musical performer, and why are they your favorite?
Right now, probably the Isley Brothers. Because of the funk.
12. What comic (or graphic novel, webcomic, etc.) was your “gateway drug” and made you a comic fan?
It wasn’t my first comic ever, but when I read Uncanny X-Men #139, and then “Days of Future Past,” which followed right after (I missed #140), I was done. Hooked for life.
21. Who has been the biggest help or motivator in your career?
My wife, best friend and co-writer on all things screenwritery, Ruth. Without her I doubt I’d be working in comics at all.
25. Do you have any pets and if so, what do you have and what are their names?
Yes, two wonderful cats. Josie is 14, a Siamese mix (she was feral when we rescued her), with a raspy Bette Davis voice. Our Bengal, Francis, is 12 & 1/2, our big baby, who we have entire conversations with. He is battling lymphoma so we know our time with him is likely limited but we are trying to make each day count.
30. What hobbies or interests do you have outside of comics?
Screenwriting … my wife has made me into something of a political junkie…football, specifically the Patriots, and to a lesser extent the Red Sox. I’m not terribly well-rounded, I’m afraid.