"Flash" Writers, Teddy Sears Race Down Burning Questions From "Flash of Two Worlds"
The shortlist for the second annual British Comic Awards was released today, and the judges will now begin the task of determining the final set of winners, which will be announced in November at the Thought Bubble Festival in Leeds.
The nominations for the BCAs are a multi-step process, as explained by BCA Committee member Richard Bruton: First the committee selects a longlist; during that process, the public is invited to send in suggestions for inclusion. After that, the committee winnows it down to the shortlist and hands it over to the judges, who make the final picks in four categories. The committee determines the year’s Hall of Fame winner, Leo Baxendale, creator of the Bash Street Kids, Minnie the Minx, Sweeny Toddler and a host of other characters who delighted children, myself included, for more than 30 years.
• The Absence #5 – Martin Stiff (self published)
• The Listening Agent – Joe Decie (Blank Slate Books)
• Mud Man #6 – Paul Grist (Image Comics)
• Soppy – Philippa Rice (self published)
• Winter’s Knight: Day One – Robert M Ball (Great Beast/self published)
• The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil – Stephen Collins (Jonathan Cape)
• Judge Dredd: Trifecta – Al Ewing, Rob Williams, Simon Spurrier, Henry Flint, D’Israeli, Carl Critchlow and Simon Coleby (2000AD Graphic Novels)
• The Man Who Laughs – David Hine and Mark Stafford (Self Made Hero)
• Mrs. Weber’s Omnibus – Posy Simmons (Jonathan Cape)
• The Nao of Brown – Glyn Dillon (Self Made Hero)
• Isabel Greenberg (The River of Lost Souls)
• Dilraj Mann (Frank Ocean VS Chris Brown, Make You Notice, Turning Point)
• Will Morris (The Silver Darlings)
• Jade Sarson (Cafe Suada)
• Lizzy Stewart (Solo, Four Days In Brussels, Four Days in Iceland, Object Stories)
Young People’s Comic Award
• Hilda & The Bird Parade – Luke Pearson (NoBrow)
• The Sleepwalkers – Vivianne Schwarz (Walker Books)
• Cindy & Biscuit #3 – Dan White (self published)
• The Complete Rainbow Orchid – Garen Ewing (Egmont)
• Playing Out – Jim Medway (Blank Slate Books)