2013 Cartoonist Studio Prize shortlists announced
by JK Parkin |
February 8, 2014 @ 10:00 AM | No Comments |
The Slate Book Review and the Center for Cartoon Studies have announced the shortlist for their second Cartoonist Studio Prize, which honors one graphic novel and one webcomic released in 2013.
The shortlists were selected by Slate Book Review editor Dan Kois; the faculty and students at the Center for Cartoon Studies, represented by CCS Fellow Nicole Georges; and this year’s guest judge, Christopher Butcher of the Toronto comic book store The Beguiling and co-founder of the Toronto Comic Arts Festival.
Best Graphic Novel of the Year Shortlist
- Boxers and Saints by Gene Luen Yang. Published by First Second.
- The Encyclopedia of Early Earth by Isabel Greenberg. Published by Little, Brown.
- The Initiates: A Comic Artist and a Wine Artisan Exchange Jobs, by Étienne Davodeau. Published by NBM.
- Julio’s Day by Gilbert Hernandez. Published by Fantagraphics.
- Map of Days, by Robert Hunter. Published by Nobrow Press.
- Paul Joins the Scouts, by Michel Rabagliati. Published by Conundrum Press.
- The Property by Rutu Modan. Published by Drawn and Quarterly.
- Sunny Vol. 1 and Sunny Vol. 2, by Taiyo Matsumoto. Published by VIZ Media.
- Susceptible by Geneviève Castrée. Published by Drawn and Quarterly.
- Today Is the Last Day of the Rest of Your Life by Ulli Lust. Published by Fantagraphics.
Best Web Comic of the Year Shortlist
from “Out of Skin”
The winners will be announced March 7. Each winner will receive $1,000. Last year’s winners were Chris Ware for Building Stories and Noelle Stevenson for Nimona.
News From Our Partners