Axel-In-Charge: Extending "Secret Wars," Excitement for a "Totally Awesome Hulk"
The finalists were announced today for the 2014 Hugo Awards, which recognize the best in science fiction and fantasy.
Presented annually since 1955 by the World Science Fiction Society, the Hugo is among science fiction’s most prestigious awards. The winners will be presented Aug. 17 in London during Loncon 3. The nominees for best graphic story are:
• Girl Genius, Vol. 13: Agatha Heterodyne & The Sleeping City, by Phil Foglio, Kaja Foglio and Cheyenne Wright (Airship Entertainment)
• “The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who,” by Paul Cornell and Jimmy Broxton (Doctor Who Special 2013, IDW Publishing)
• The Meathouse Man, adapted from the story by George R.R. Martin and illustrated by Raya Golden (Jet City Comics)
• Saga, Vol. 2, by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (Image Comics )
• “Time,” Randall Munroe (xkcd)
In addition, Staples and Daniel Dos Santos, whose work includes covers for Fables, Serenity: Leaves in the Wind and Tomb Raider, were nominated for best professional artist.
The first volume of Saga won the best graphic story category last year.