Wizard World adds nine cities to 2015 tour
Wizard World Inc. announced this morning that it will add add nine cities to its 2015 schedule, which will include new conventions in Las Vegas, Cleveland, Fort Lauderdale and Raleigh, North Carolina, bringing the total to at least 22.
Four stops that debuted with this year’s lineup — Atlanta, Louisville, Kentucky, Reno, Nevada, and San Antonio, Texas — don’t appear on the initial 2015 calendar, raising the possibility that Wizard World has decided to focus resources elsewhere. However, the press release states “additional cities (new and returning) may also be added in the coming weeks” (Atlanta is listed as “TBD” on the Wizard World website).
Twenty-two conventions marks a high for Wizard World, which just last year boasted 16, and is nearly twice the number it boasted in 2011, when it emerged as a publicly traded company following the closings of Wizard and ToyFare magazines (that figure was quickly whittled from 12 to eight).
The new cities are: Madison, Wisconsin (Feb. 6-8); Indianapolis (Feb. 13-15); Cleveland (Feb. 20-22); Raleigh, North Carolina (March 13-15); Las Vegas (April 24-25); Greenville, South Carolina (May 28-30); Des Moines, Iowa (June 12-14); San Jose, California (Sept. 4-6); and Fort Lauderdale, Florida (Oct. 2-4).
“We are excited to bring the Wizard World experience to more fans in more places than ever before in 2015,” CEO John Macaluso said in a statement. “The new shows this year have been huge successes, and we believe that fans in these additional cities will enjoy our mix of top celebrities, superstar artists and all things pop culture.”
As Wizard World’s first-quarter filings showed, more conventions translates into more revenues, with the company reporting $5 million in the first three months of 2014, an increase of 188 percent from the same period last year (the net profit was $692,041).
Wizard World’s 2015 calendar can be found below:
- Wizard World New Orleans Comic Con, January 9-11, Ernest N. Morial Convention Center
- Wizard World Portland Comic Con, January 23-25, Oregon Convention Center
- Wizard World Wisconsin Comic Con, February 6-8, Alliant Energy Center, Madison, Wis.
- Wizard World Indianapolis Comic Con, February 13-15, Indianapolis Convention Center
- Wizard World Cleveland Comic Con, February 20-22, Cleveland Convention Center
- Wizard World Presents Bruce Campbell’s Horror Fest, March 6-8, Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, Rosemont, Ill.
- Wizard World Raleigh Comic Con, March 13-15, Raleigh Convention Center
- Wizard World Las Vegas Comic Con, April 24-26, Las Vegas Convention Center
- Wizard World Minneapolis Comic Con, May 1-3, Minneapolis Convention Center
- Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con, May 7-10, Pennsylvania Convention Center
- Wizard World St. Louis Comic Con, May 22-24, America’s Center
- Wizard World Greenville Comic Con, May 28-30, TD Convention Center, Greenville, S.C.
- Wizard World Des Moines Comic Con, June 12-14, Iowa Events Center
- Wizard World Sacramento Comic Con, June 19-21, Sacramento Convention Center
- Wizard World Richmond Comic Con, July 31-August 2, Greater Richmond Convention Center
- Wizard World Chicago Comic Con, August 20-23, Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, Rosemont, Ill.
- Wizard World San Jose Comic Con, September 4-6, San Jose Convention Center
- Wizard World Columbus Comic Con, September 18-20, Greater Columbus Convention Center, Columbus, Ohio
- Wizard World Nashville Comic Con, September 25-27, Music City Center
- Wizard World Fort Lauderdale Comic Con, October 2-4, Greater Fort Lauderdale Broward County Convention Center
- Wizard World Tulsa Comic Con, October 23-25, Cox Business Center
- Wizard World Austin Comic Con, October 29-31, Austin Convention Center