Dauterman reveals Thor and Thor Odinson character models

thor-dauterman2-cropped

A week after Marvel announced a woman will take up the mantle of Thor after the current hero is deemed unworthy to wield Mjolnir, artist Russell Dauterman has posted his character models for both versions of the god of thunder.

“Did these as I was starting work on the book,” the incoming Thor artist wrote on his blog. “The costumes were designed before I came on board (by the great Esad Ribic, I believe), but here’s my take on them.”

As writer Jason Aaron told Comic Book Resources last week, the former Thor — Thor Odinson, prince of Asgard — will “still have a role to play” in the new series, which debuts in October.

“If you’ve seen the cover of one of Jonathan Hickman’s upcoming Avengers issues where it flashes forward into the future you see what appears to be Thor holding his ax, Jarnbjorn,” he said. “So that’s kind of a glimpse into our book’s future as well. That’s kind of where we’ve been heading.”

He also had praise for Dauterman, who follows Ribic. “I like the fact that Russell’s work feels a little more sci-fi and maybe a little more Kirby,” Aaron told CBR. “I think this is a brighter, poppier, more Kirby book, which makes sense in that it’s a brand-new version of Thor; a Thor who has just kind of come into this world and is seeing it through different eyes. I really like that part of it. I’m excited to see what Russell does on it.”

thor-dauterman1

thor-dauterman2

Comments

Samwell The Wizard

July 22, 2014 at 10:29 am

The male old Thor really looks like Ned Stark

Love both designs… Except for the two random pieces of flesh being exposed on Thor’s stomach.

I hope Aaron explains why she’s called Thor. Thor isn’t a title, it’s his name

Drew Melbourne

July 22, 2014 at 10:51 am

@1234 If you mean the female Thor, that’s just a lighting effect.

@David Other people have served as replacement Thor’s before, taking on the name as well as the hammer. This includes Red Norvell and Dargo, the future Thor. I agree that it’s a little bit of a headache if they’re going to keep original Thor in the book at the same time.

Dauterman’s a relatively new, untested talent, but his art really reminds me of Copiel, who did a great (if truncated) run on Thor with JMS. Here’s hoping he grows into his boots.

Big fan of Dauterman’s art, but the story arc is another matter. Do we really need a Robo-Thor with an axe? This seems like hyper-masculinity overkill.

Let’s call this what it is. A CHEAP PUBLICITY STUNT. Here’s the problem; you can say “It’s about time you bring more diversity into comics”, the feminists, PC crowd, and the hipsters who tell you that until they’re blue in the face don’t commit to actually BUYING the book on a monthly basis. What ever sales bump they get, it will quickly fade, and when Marvel’s main audience starts to abandon the book, they’ll have to change Thor back to placate their fans. Which should be around the time Avengers Age of Ultron rolls into theaters.

I liked Dauterman’s work on SUPERBIA and will give the “all-new” Thor some thought.

As for the mechanical arm, it seems some readers have already recalled that a previously published version of Thor, an older King Thor, already had a robotic arm. And as alternate-dimensions go in comics, King Thor has three granddaughters, the eldest of which wields an axe: Frigg Wodendottir…

I’m not an avid reader of THOR comics, but Frigg or no Frigg as the next all-new Thor, Dauterman’s art is still fantastic.

It’s by Jason Aaron; therefore it will be good. Nay, not good, but awesome. :)

it came from the fridge

July 22, 2014 at 12:54 pm

This isn’t diversity. I can see what they’re trying to achieve, but their logic is off.
“Let’s make one of our biggest names female” is the concept. Fine.
But instead of coming up with a new, interesting, original character, this is simply a derivation riding on the coat tails of the original.

By all means, introduce a new character in the pages of Thor, throw the whole marketing budget at her, spin her off into her own title – make it work through good writing, art, publicity – but “oh, she’s taking over because he can’t do the job any more” doesn’t make her one of the big names. It makes her the temp who came in while Thor Odinson was on sick leave. Wonder which recruitment agency they used?

@Drew Melbourne: I don’t think those are lighting effects. Those two holes on (new) Thor’s stomach are colored the same as her skin.

Doesn’t Odinson look like a older bearded Edward Elric with that metal arm? it would be even more if the cloak is red like all of Thor’s capes.

now even more since I notice the braid he’s wearing. lol

Why is the Unworthy Thor so unworthy of a shirt?

odinson looks woofy :) she-thor gives me a she-ra vibe lol

Is there a particular reason Thor looks like a hobo?

Mummra the Ever Living

July 22, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I think the thing that’s off about this change is that it’s not the title or the powers that I’m invested in- it’s the character of Thor Odinson.

So no matter how cool the Fem-Thor (For?) is, I like the idea of the story because it conjures some potentially very interesting stories for the Odinson.

What happens to Thor when he’s no longer the Thunder God is more engaging for me than how some new version of the Thunder God interacts with the MU.

I’m interested to see where this goes but I’m not sold on the costumes, the 2 navel holes look strange, and why does thor have a prosthetic arm (I’m not a big thor reader)

I’ll trade wait this book I think.

Why does Donar have a clockwork arm?

Hoopla aside, if this is not Roz I will be very disappointed.

WardenDresden

July 23, 2014 at 2:33 am

i honestly don’t think it will be Roz – i would be interested to see if this was Frigg from the future we already know she is worthy of wielding stormbreaker and that has the same requirements of worthyness as mjolnir

WardenDresden

July 23, 2014 at 2:52 am

i mean here we can see Frigg has only her right arm covered like the new Thor

and here even though both forearms are armored the style is very similar to the new Thor

even the collar area is similar.

Yeah, I’m definitely feeling the granddaughters of thunder, but I wouldn’t want just one of them to take the spotlight. Kind of a waste in my eyes as they’re all pretty badass. Roz seems like a better choice as she is present Thor’s foil and would be an outgrowth of the current present-day narrative. Aside from Sif, everyone else just seems to….. random.