Major "Justice League" #50 Revelations, Changes Lead Into "DC Universe: Rebirth"
Disney will break ground in April on the 14-acre Star Wars-themed lands at Disneyland.
CEO Bob Iger made the announcement last week during the company’s annual shareholders meeting, mere days after Disney unveiled new concept art for what’s been characterized as its “largest single-theme land expansion ever.”
Although Iger offered few new details about the Star Wars areas, the Los Angeles Times reports he told a shareholder that the original plans have been “tweaked.” “I wouldn’t focus on what was in an earlier design plan because what we are building will be great,” he said.
Announced in August at the D23 Expo, Disney’s plan features as its centerpiece a Millennium Falcon attraction in which visitors can “actually pilot the fastest ship in the galaxy,” and another that places guests in the midst of a battle between the Resistance and the First Order “in a race against time.” Other features will include a street market, a cantina and an upscale dinner club.
Disneyland closed several Frontierland attractions in early January to make way for construction of Star Wars land. Disney’s Hollywood studios in Orlando, Florida, likewise will shut down numerous attractions on April 2, and remove the iconic Earffel Tower.
No targeted completion date has been announced, nor a start date for construction of the Star Wars Land planned for Disney World’s Hollywood Studios in Florida.
UPDATE 3/7/2016 6:30 PM PT: A previous version of this story inaccurately stated that a start date for construction of the Star Wars Land in Disney World had been announced.